ReefCleaners.org

holes?

katydidit

I'm about to throw in the towel guys...it seems like nothing I do goes right, and all the money I spend goes down the drain. I bought a xenia about a week ago, and all was well...until that little bastard of an aiptasia popped up. I've tried injecting it with kalk, and the first time (before I knew better) I tried scraping it off with a razor. And I'm at wits end trying to kill this thing that is sitting nearly a mm away from my red sea xenia. I woke up this morning to find my xenia shriveled with holes in the stalk and I'm ####ed. Was the aiptasia the culprit or do you think it could have been something else? My mexican hermits havent touched anything but the algae, and my cleaner shrimp is harmless.

I really feel like this hobby should be left for the experts, so please guys, give me some advice on what to do!

Your Xenia is being stung by that jerk aiptaisa!

As a last resort, move your Xenia, cut him from his rock if necessary, it's better than have him stung to death!

Kalking the aiptasia that close to your Xenia might not be too good for the xenia. If you do try it again, take a credit card and create a barrier with it between the Xenia and the Aptasia.

Try a heavy kalk paste. It worked for me. Use a syringe to get it right on top of the apt. If the apt shrinks away into the rock, just inject the spot where he went in. Some of the kalk will turn into calcium carbonate and create a plug over the apt hole. (Well, it seemed that way to me anyway).

Good luck!

V

The holes on the xenia arent right next to the aiptasia though, they are about 8 mm above where the tentacles are...so is it possible that it is something else. This is a crappy picture because I'm horrible at macro shots on my digital, but it gives you some sort of idea. The aip is on the left side by the base...

It looks to me like your xenia is splitting on it's own to move away from the aipstasia. If you place a small rock touching the xenia by the "holes" it will grow over to the rock in a two or three days. You can then cut the remaining "thread" holding it to the old rock and move the new xenia to a better location away from the aipstasia. Don't panic and hang in there. This hobby is too rewarding to throw in the towel so soon.

Good Luck!

Mermaid,

One of the first sites I visited when I was turned on to nano-reefs was yours and still have your informational blurb on blastomussa merleti bookmarked. Great site.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that your site helped me along the way. :)

-Jeff

hey zizmans...

I actually just went to my LFS to get RO water and asked about a good method, and they said the exact same thing. I'm going to try it and we will see how things turn out :/

all of my corals on that rock are now ####ed at me, but I cant quite tell if the aip is gone...I will see in a few hours how the test went. Lord I hate these stupid anemones...they make me hate all species!

Archived