ReefCleaners.org

Rio 1100 in a BC29

Miami Reefer

So I just recently bought a BC29 and I know I need to upgrade the flow. I already have a Rio 1100 that flows something like 390 gph. The BC is stock with the stock filter and the bioballs. Would I need to do any mods to make this work like widening the entrance into chamber 2? Also would this be enough flow in the tank to not have any other pumps inside the tank? Thanks.

I upgraded my pump (BC29) to the Rio6HF (350gph) and I also have 2 K-1s (400gph each) for a total of 1150gph, or 39x turnover. Your's will only provide 13x turnover, so I would definitely add some more powerheads.

yeah i already have a rio 800 running in the tank that flows like 225 gph

but my question is do i need to make any mods so that the pump will flow correctly and not run out of water in chamber 3 thanks

I'm not a fan of the rios - the sponges clog and need to be cleaned - OFTEN. If you are concerned with flow I would go with something that I wouldn't have to worry about the sponge cutting down the flow as it collects crappage.

As far as openig the entrance to chamber 2 - I would do it anyhow. If you have anything in chamber 3 with a high rate of flow it wont take much evap for it to start sucking air. The other fix is to make sure you are running a ATO.

On another note I would ditch those bioballs and if you still have the sponge in there you might want to toss it as well or at least remember to clean it out when you do your water changes.

I'm not a fan of the rios - the sponges clog and need to be cleaned - OFTEN. If you are concerned with flow I would go with something that I wouldn't have to worry about the sponge cutting down the flow as it collects crappage.

Then take the sponges out. I have a 6hf and have had no problems.

Then take the sponges out. I have a 6hf and have had no problems.

I did that with my rio 6hf and lost the powerhead a week later. Related? Dunno. I'm running two rio8's in my 40 now (spongless) and they haven't caused any problems - couple of months now. BUT - when I change out those pumps I'll avoid rio and not have to worry about it all together.

Miami, back to your original post - if you put a pump in with more flow, you should probably cut the opening between chambers 1 and 2 open to allow that extra flow through.

alright thanks guys for the advice i'm going to widen the entance

and also I should take the filter catridge out and the sponge at the bottom of chamber three too

sry i'm a noob

Archived