Cultivated Reef

Protein Skimmer Help

WhiteShark

I recently purchased a used aquarium off craigs list and it came with an Oceanic Plus Series Model 4 protein skimmer (and ehiem pump). I have yet to put water in my tank but I have tested the pump in order to see if it works (which it does). I haven't been able to find much information online about this protein skimmer though and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. My main concern is that it will function properly and does not have any missing parts. I noticed today that the water exit for the protein skimmer is just an opening at the front of the skimmer. It is threaded so I think I could attach a nozzle or something if need be but the previous owner was not using any such nozzle. Can anyone help me out with this one? I'll attach some pictures for better help IDing...

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

er1c_the_reefer

that thing looks old school.

my guess is its threaded, probably for PVC, and maybe you can fit a gate valve on it. just a guess though.

Yeah it's sevearl years old but the guy has had the tank up and running for 5 years with no problems. I think the tank had become so established that he really didn't even need the protein skimmer anymore (for the last year or whatever). Unfortunately I'm having to start the tank over again so I will need the skimmer. As long as it works I'm happy with it...

What exactly is a gate valve (is that basically a 1 way valve)?

Yeah I finally got up with the original owner of the tank/skimmer and he said its an late 80's model ventura skimmer but still an extremely good one. We tested it in his fish store and he gave me a nozzle for the skimmer so that I could adjust it better. It appears to be working. I cleaned it out with some vinager and have been letting it run with regular water all day in order to make sure that everything was washed out of it.

Archived