SaltCritters.com

Filter Media Question

Grendel0501

I am setting up my first tank , and ppl keep giving me old power filters.

DSCF4009.jpg

I have 4 of them so far. 3 unknowns , and 1 Emporer 50 gallon.

I really want to use the Emperor bc it looks like it would probablly do a better job than the others.

What do I need to get it working right again?

DSCF4013.jpg

DSCF4015.jpg

I figure I need to get new filter media , especially since on of filter contrainers is empty , is this all I need to get things up and running again on the Emporer?

This is for a 45g , and I might use the other power filters , as fuges/cheato holders. Until I get the money together to add a fuge/sump with seperate lighting.

I'm not familiar with those filters, but try to find online instructions/ manuals for ones like those and you may get some ideas.

*And watch out for Beowulf.

The bottom 2 are aquaclears. Good filters to make into a fuge and store some media in there. Pretty quiet too.

DSCF4009.jpg

Oh, and the blue one is a cascade power filter, never used one though.

And yes the only thing you need is those filter medias, but i would get some chemi-pure instead cause it will last you way longer. Get some filter floss to. Makes sure the pump and impeller work too and that the filters dont leak. :)

The bottom 2 are aquaclears. Good filters to make into a fuge and store some media in there. Pretty quiet too.

Oh, and the blue one is a cascade power filter, never used one though.

And yes the only thing you need is those filter medias, but i would get some chemi-pure instead cause it will last you way longer. Get some filter floss to. Makes sure the pump and impeller work too and that the filters dont leak. :)

Cool , thanks for the info . Would the biowheel need to be replaced?

Cool , thanks for the info . Would the biowheel need to be replaced?

Ditch the biowheel. You've got all of your biological filtration in the liverock in the display. The biowheel will just collect crap and nitrates.

Archived