Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lab or Standard PH Probe

pprwngs

What's the difference? Do I even need it? And the calibration fluids which do I need 7 or 10? Or both?

EDIT - The reason I'm thinking of getting one is to easily monitor the PH in the tank, not to control any device. If that makes a difference in a choice of probes.

Thanks in advance!!

I've used lab probes on my controller (not an ACjr) and the primary difference is it will read to two decimal places. A standard probe only to one. Not necessary for aquarium work, in my opinion. You need both buffers for a two point calibration. More accurate and stable.

The advertisement didn't use a phrase like "greater accuracy" or something? If they got too truthful they'd have to say the lab probes don't last as long. :D I use Orion research grade triodes in my work that cost $150 and they are very accurate, to three places, but they begin to drift badly after about a year. One of the standard probes on my controller cost $30 and has been stable for over three years. Go figure.

I've used lab probes on my controller (not an ACjr) and the primary difference is it will read to two decimal places. A standard probe only to one. Not necessary for aquarium work, in my opinion. You need both buffers for a two point calibration. More accurate and stable.

Not true. I'm running a standard grade American Marine PinPoint pH probe on my ACjr and it displays pH as X.XX with TWO decimal places. The differance between standard and lab grade is that lab grade is more accurate, more durable and will hold calibration longer than standard grade. it has nothing to do with how the read out of it will look on a controller. That's completely dependant of the controller being used, not the probe.

Archived