inTank Media Baskets

C-Balance

kbruin

Hey All,

I'm a little confused about C-Balance. I understand that there is a optimal balance of calcium and Alk and that C-balance helps achieve this, but I need a bit more detailed directions about how to use it in my tank. Right now I just have LR and LS, a handful or crabs, snails, a peppermint shrimp, rock blenny, and a yellow tail damsel. There really isn't much in the way of coral just yet. I think I'm gonna go all out and grab like $200 worth this xmas. Get a few of the nano packs from liveaquaria or something. Anyways, my tank is obviously done cycleing, most of the diatoms are gone and there is just a little algae sticking around. My question is, should I be using C-Balance now reguarly? My calcium has stood at 400 ppm and has not moved since the tank started. the alk is about the same. may have dropped from like 12-10 or something. I have the cycleing process understood and down, but now that my tank has critters in it I want to make sure i'm keeping them all happy. The only thing I'm "adding" is mysis cubes every other day. P.S. I have a RSM so its a 36 gallon tank with about 47 pounds of LR and 20 pounds of LS.

well you wont know until you add corals and monitor the levels in your tank. it really depends if you are picking calcium sucking corals or not. if you have clams and SPS, chances are you have to dose everyday. but things like zoas, or mushrooms or leathers, you might not have to dose that often or at all.

you will not have very much depletion since you have no corals. It really isn't needed until that point. Make sure you test before dosing so you know when and how much to add.

It is still a good idea to keep the calc in range before corals though, that way you are ready in time

thats what I figured. I think I just started to second guess myself. I didn't plan well and need to do a water change and of course its thanksgiving and everywhere is closed. yah yah i should just get an RO/DI unit, but if I have to decide between that and a starter set of corals, guess where my cash is gonna go? Thats right to my maxed out Amex.....

Archived