inTank Media Baskets

Refractometer Calibration

GioReef

So im soon getting a DR FS refractometer. Should i also get the 53Ms Pinpoint solution or not? And how long does the solution last until i need to get more? I am new to calibrating refracto's(just used lfs refracto and hydrometer) so i dont really know which is best.

Thanks

The Refractometers usually come pre-calibrated so I wouldn't worry. Refractometers are wayyyyyyyy better than any hydrometer, they are more accurate.

kermitthedaniel

the calibration fluid is 0ppm, that is all, so that when you put in on the refractometer, you adjust the level to 0, so if you can just get pure water with 0ppm, then you dont need it, i say its handy if you want to get it, not sure how much it is though so its up to you. refractometer is the way to go.

i wouldnt bother with their "ULTRA PURE GOD WATER 0TDS LIVE REJUVENATING" water. nothing more than lab grade water with 0TDS just use the water from your RO unit.

the calibration fluid is 0ppm, that is all, so that when you put in on the refractometer, you adjust the level to 0, so if you can just get pure water with 0ppm, then you dont need it, i say its handy if you want to get it, not sure how much it is though so its up to you. refractometer is the way to go.

Umm, no. The calibration solution is 53 mS which is 35ppt which is also 1.0259 SG. Since this is the range of the tank water you will be testing, calibrating with the solution instead of calibrating to 0 with distilled water will avoid any potential prism distortion that could mess up your reading. While prism distortion likely will not exist, for a few dollars for the solution is a good investment for piece of mind, IMO.

Umm, no. The calibration solution is 53 mS which is 35ppt which is also 1.0259 SG. Since this is the range of the tank water you will be testing, calibrating with the solution instead of calibrating to 0 with distilled water will avoid any potential prism distortion that could mess up your reading. While prism distortion likely will not exist, for a few dollars for the solution is a good investment for piece of mind, IMO.

OMG thanks for clearing that up... I almost fell out of my chair after Kermit said 52mS calibration fluid is 0ppm. I swore I googled it to death to see what was default ppm for calibration fluid I bought from DRS.

A long time. You only use a couple of drops to calibrate and you don't need to calibrate very often as long as you take care with your refractometer.I still have plenty in a bottle I bought 2 years ago. You will also be able to calibrate it with the solution, then test with Distilled or 0ppm RO/DI. If you calibrate to the 53mS and get 0 when you test with distilled, you know there is no prism distortion and can calibrate with 0ppm water in the future.

I think the calibration fluid is 53.0mS = 35ppt = 1.0264 sg

Calibration fluid is way worth it because when calibrating the refractormeter around 1.023/4/5, it is best to use something near the same number, not 0 (pure water). Pure water actually makes it read way off.

agreed

OMG thanks for clearing that up... I almost fell out of my chair after Kermit said 52mS calibration fluid is 0ppm. I swore I googled it to death to see what was default ppm for calibration fluid I bought from DRS.

haha I about fell out of my chair as well

Archived