Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Crocea Clam

syaeger

I went to my LFS the other day asking about crocea clams. The owner recommended not to get a crocea for my nano. He said they get over one feet and it would be too big for my tank. He doesn't seen to know too much about nano reefs and always tries to talk me into buying a larger tank. In researching them, I've read they only get a max of six inches and that they are the smallest species of the giant clams. I really like these type of clams because of their brillant colors. Would a crocea clam work out OK in my tank and light set up?

Tank Specs:

10 Gal

Aquatec 5-15 HOB Filter

Penguin 550 PH

50 W Ebo-Jager Heater

Coralife 96 W PC Quad Unit

10 lbs LR

Live Sand/DSB

Livestock:

1 Ocellaris Clownfish

1 Bicolor Pseudochromis

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Red-Spotted Linkia Star

1 Sand Sifting Star

2 Red-leg Hermits

1 Blue-leg Hermit

7 Astrea Snails

2 Bumble Bee Snails

2 Emerald Crabs

1 Mangrove Clam

1 Flame Scallop

Pipe Organ Coral

Mushroom Coral

Colony Polyp Coral

Button Polyp Coral

I have one under 64w in my 7g, thats all I can tell you. Also they have a very slow growth rate and will usually only get about 6" max in a tank.

They like to have their foot on a rock and love the light, so if you can put it towards the top or middle of the tank. Try to put it on a small flat rock incase you ever need to move it.

Do alot of research on crocea clams before you decide to get one, and of course they need excelent water quality. Pretty much sps conditions to keep them happy.

Croceas rarely exceed 5 or 6 inches - in the tank or in the wild. They are the smallest of the "giant" clam species.

The consensus (don't flame me because you know it's true that this is the majority opinion) is that croceas do best under Metal Halide lighting.

In the wild, they live very high on the reefs - higher than Maximas - which means more intense light. It also means lower "K" lighting is more appropriate. The best results come from 6500K, which you can suppliment with actinics for visual appeal. However, there is success with higher-K bulbs, but perhaps they don;t belong under a Radium-plus-actinic canopy.

The challengers are keeping clams under PC lighting now. This is againt the majority of opinion, so take it for what it may be worth. I would want a strong PC light (like yours!) close to the water surface, and then place the clam as high as possible. If the clam was 4-8 inches from the bulb I would be happier than with some setups I've seen.

However, I would research this question... "Those of you successfully keeping clams under PC light - how many of them are Croceas, and how many of them have been healthy in place for at least 6 months?" Because Croceas do have higher light needs, and clams tend to look fine until they suddenly croak (or as we experts say, kick the bucket.)

Tha being said, I think that IF anyone CAN keep Croceas successfully under PC lighting, your setup is probably it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar add on... I have 2x65 PC's (10k and actinic ) over my 10 g Rectangle. I would really like to do a few clams, crocea or squamosa. maybe derasa ( but don't they get big ) Any one with experiece would be well listened to! Thanks. I am aware of water quality parameters, I am mostly concerned about my lighting. Also, I have a small HOB fuge, should I stock it w/ Macro or will it be competing for food w/ my (future) clams!! Thanks a million!!!

After lighting, the most important facet to consider is water quality. For PC's MAximas are a better bet, if you wanted the colorful Clams. They can handle less light. You may even want to look at the Gold Maximas. More importantly It is imperative to have an established Tank. I would say minimum four months if not six months old. What are your calcium levels at? What I am getting at is that light is only half the equation. Water quality and stability is extremely important.

Though a Fuge would be good, You may want to consider dosing with Phyto as Clams are mostly vegetarians.

A good way to go is to start with a Derasa to test the water quality (yes they get big, but not as big as squamosa.) Look to have a bigger tank for it in the next few years. If that does well, after a few months then I would try a maxima, within 6-8 inches of your PC's.

croceas grow slow but at my LFS in the show tank they have a 2 1/2 year old thats 15inch. and all clams have a higher lighting requirment then most things available for the nano. the squasmo clam has one of the lowest lighting requirments. don't worry if it gets to big sell it for:bling: just worry about the lighting

MrConclusion: Great response and well-hedged against the flamers.

I keep croceas under a 150 halide in a 10 gal , and they are very happy. They are rock-boring clams, so they need something solid to attach to.

Although they will grow to a large size similar to other clams, they do so at a much slower rate, which equates to a longer period of time that you can house them in a smaller tank.

Squamosa and Deresas are both lower-light clams, and are sand-dwellers. Excellent for nanos, IMO. Your PC's should be fine.

Jahkaya:

honestly, I've always read that the maximas are the most light demanding, with croceas a close second. I could be wrong.

Another thing to consider: size: most clams in the 2.5" and under

range are more nutrient-sensitive for their survival, and require dosing of phytoplankton as their main source of food. Once roughly 3" and larger they develop more dependency on photosynthesis to sustain themselves.

Make plans for maintaining calcium in the aquarium: these guys really soak it out of the water.

tHANKS A MILLION. mY CALCIUM IS A BIT HIGH NOW, 470 . PH IS at 8.2. all other params are ok i believe. no3 - undetectable no4 - 10 ppm ammonia - undetectable . The PC's are suitable for some... ok! The tank is a week old , dont worry...I'm the kinda guy who feels bad fraggin' zoos so I wouldn't want subject an animal to improper conditions. Thanks!

Originally posted by kennerd

Squamosa and Deresas are both lower-light clams, and are sand-dwellers.  Excellent for nanos, IMO.  Your PC's should be fine.

Jahkaya:  

honestly, I've always read that the maximas are the most light demanding, with croceas a close second.  I could be wrong.

Make plans for maintaining calcium in the aquarium: these guys really soak it out of the water.

Ken:

squamosas and derasas are great for lower light, but IMO are not suitable for anything less then a 10. Not perfect for Nano's. perfect for lower light(still kick ass under halides though) Even then They get so big one would need a bigger tank in less than two years. (my derasa Has now grown 1/2" in three months and is starting to grow faster now.)

You have the Croceas and Max's mixed. Croceas live higher in the reef and generally require more light. This is per Barry at Clams Direct. Let's hope he is right.

Good call on the Calcium. I dose/buff heavily every other day in the 20 and still only at 410-420. (two Clams, 9-10 SPS)

Wait about three months after your cycle and add a Derasa. If that does well, then you may be ready to get a higher maintenance clam. Just My opinion.

Well, I'll be. Thanks, Jahkaya. Guess I can hide behind the "Well, they both need high light" argument.

I just added a pair of deresas to my clam tank, too. Super color.

Thanks again guys. This is the "desk" nano. I will post a pic today or tommorrow. My minibow at home is 4.5 months old. with 2x32 w pc's. Maxima? Thanks again :)

Big ass Sump! That would be some expensive lighting for a sump.

"yeah I had to spend $180 for a 2x96 for my SUMP"

For a fuge maybe, but a Sump? I have heard of some with trates of greater than 40ppm in a large system, added like 10 good size squamosa's and in a month it was 10PPM.

bird:

Test Calcium (should be 400 Min.) make sure you are able to feed phtyo and keep the clam within six inches from the lights and expect slower growth. That tank is still young. Is there Coralline growing on the Glass yet?

The Minibow. Cal- is high, at 470 , By feeding phyto, do you mean target feeding the clam? or dosing.... I already dose phyto as part of my tanks "varied meal plan" Phyto is once or twice a week right now. The tank is 11 inches deep , so put the clam on a rock? I actually noticed a few miniscule tiny pieces of what appears to be coralline starting on the back wall. Flow is great, somewhat uniderectional , turbulent in places, lower at night ( i turn 1 PH off) Thanks a bunch for your help. I am local ( Lag Niguel ) When my Zoos take off I'll let you know!! I got some nice ones recentley.... See attached thread... give it 6 - 8 mos though zzz zzz zzz

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...?threadid=18349

Good to know locals, Bird. Clams Like lower flow which should be taken into considersation, and yes definitely place it in the Rock work as high as possible. All Clams like to be fed. If you skim or have a nutrient poor tank (usually a good thing) feeding is more important. Bowl feeding seems to be what works for many people. Target feeding, at least, is almost necessary for smaller clams (under 3"). It is best to put the clam on a rock that can be moved. Be sure that you use a rock that you really like, cause once they bore, they're there for good. Removing them is a Biatch and has potential for diaster. Also Check your DKH/ALK.

General dosing is fine for larger clams, but I have had great luck with seperate feeding. I had a small maxima that I placed on a half of a dead clamshell, to which it attached. Every two days, I would take a few cups of tank water and put it in a bowl, add phyto. Then I would remove the clam on the shell it was attached to, and place it in the bowl of phyto-ed water. Clam is then able to feed very efficiently. After 15 minutes: back in the tank and I would dump the bowl back in, too: effectively feeding the system with the leftover phyto.

All wonderful Ideas that I have heard before. I have always wondered, with the nano's, Do you think the clams would be able to feed more efiiciently? or is bowl feeding still a good idea? I am not skimming currently. I do 1 gallon water changes weekly. Tank probably holds about 6 gallons? maybe a bit more... I am using Kents buffer powder , my ph is consitently 8.2 during the day, and 8.1 to 8.0 after the lights go off. I will grab a carbonate hardness test today! Again... Thanks a million. I am

I like the Bowl feeding method as to not over feed the tank, especially in a 7 gallon. But then Ken dumped the rest of the phtyo in his tank (65 Gallon I'm guessing.) so this will be irrelevant.

Yeah: both the 10 and the 65. I don't necessarily dose more into the bowl than I would put into the tank, but it's just more concentrated and leisurely for the clam to feed, rather than dilluted in the volume of the entire tank. Only for the smallest clams, of course.

Archived