Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need some help w/ Diatoms.

WindCloudWRX

Tank is 4 months old and has 3 fishes.

Everything is doing fine and well, but after 1 water change + longer than usual light period, the diatoms started to creep back up ! Tank got kind of cloudy and I am suspecting either a diatom bloom or bacteria bloom?

My plan is:

-Increase light on Chaeto Fuge

-Reduce Photo Period

-Hold off on Water Changes (NSW)

-Scrap off wall

I noticed the skimmer doing a very good job, when I scrap the diatoms off. I have a pretty high turnover, about 20x.

Was hoping for suggestions or help. I have no hair algae though, just these ugly diatoms. I have used NSW for WCs and like it. I use RO/DI as top off.

Thanks.

Tanks been set up for 4 months and you've done 1 water change?

Typically diatoms occur as part of the cycle. Have you added any new rock?

Anyhow... diatoms is something that's typically taken care of by your clean up crew. A good CUC and regular water changes should take care of it.

I have used NSW for WCs and like it.

Are you colecting near shore or off shore? Thinking that nearshore water would have higher nutrient count.

If NSW is a common thing for ya with no past problems, then something else is up.

I'm gonna toss in my .02 and say it's a cycle thing. New rock / fish / whatever.

Might consider giving RO/DI a try for WC's and look for a difference.

best-o-luck

Tanks been set up for 4 months and you've done 1 water change?

Typically diatoms occur as part of the cycle. Have you added any new rock?

Anyhow... diatoms is something that's typically taken care of by your clean up crew. A good CUC and regular water changes should take care of it.

Sorry, what I meant was, this particular water change seemed to have caused a spike. I have been doing regular bi weekly water changes and the diatom seemed to have started to fade since, but this particular one, it just took off.

I haven't added any new rock or anything of that.

Thanks.

Archived