Top Shelf Aquatics

50/50 RO AND TAP WATER WITH CONDITIONER

marinetanker

HI,

IM NEW TO MARINE TANKS AND ON SUNDAY I SET UP MY NANO REEF AQUARIUM, I STARTED BY ADDING 50% RO WATER, THEN I USED TAP WATER FOR THE OTHER 50% AND I USED PRIME TO CONDITION IT.

WAS THIS A BAD IDEA, I CANT FIND ANYTHING ANYWHERE TO SAY THAT YOU CANT OR SHOULDNT.

ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT, THANKS

You'll be fine. Just don't do it anymore. The only reliable method of removing phosphates and other nasties that are toxic to corals and great for nuisance algae is RO or distilling.

if you cant find anything anywhere its because you didnt look hard enough... there tons of info about using tap water... in most cases its not a good idea due to TDS being high and other stuff being in the water...

if you cant find anything anywhere its because you didnt look hard enough... there tons of info about using tap water... in most cases its not a good idea due to TDS being high and other stuff being in the water...

but it does not raise any harness or anything, im not putting any livestock in for atleast 4 weeks and im also going to be using ro for the rest of the time.

you're fine, no biggie. Just use RO in the future. If I were in an emergency, tap would have to do. It is the prolonged usage that leads to issues.

RO from now on, good luck with the tank.

you're fine, no biggie. Just use RO in the future. If I were in an emergency, tap would have to do. It is the prolonged usage that leads to issues.

RO from now on, good luck with the tank.

yeah diffinately will do, thanks for the luck, ill share some with u lol

Never use tap water. Tap water may be fine this minute but it is inconsistent. What happens when a water main bursts down the street and a neighbor hhas their garden hose stuck in a treewell or horse trough? Backsiphonage! What happens when a big storm blows through and the treatment plant has to change their methods of treatment to eliminate the added sediments and organics. The pH changes as well as chemical additions. No stability. There is also the fact some contaminants are cumulative meaning no amount of water changes in the world will remove it, it gets in the rock and substrate and its there to stay. Copper is just one example.

A good RO/DI uint gives you consistency, you alone control the quality of the water in your system. I have not used anything but RO/DI since the very early 1990s and bought my first unit in 1992. I wouldn't think of using tap water again!

HI,

IM NEW TO MARINE TANKS AND ON SUNDAY I SET UP MY NANO REEF AQUARIUM, I STARTED BY ADDING 50% RO WATER, THEN I USED TAP WATER FOR THE OTHER 50% AND I USED PRIME TO CONDITION IT.

WAS THIS A BAD IDEA, I CANT FIND ANYTHING ANYWHERE TO SAY THAT YOU CANT OR SHOULDNT.

Marine Tanker..

Like you i got in a hurry when i did my initial fill of my 28g. I used tap water thinking no big deal.. the guy at my lfs told me it was no problem that Nashville had the lowest TDS going.

well.. i had a massive algae outbreak and it took me forever to over come it..

i like the attitude of others here that it will be ok.. because it will be ok. when i was a brand noob and didnt know what to do.. some people were not Nice.. and furthermore not helpful either. they just wanted to point out how ridiculous it was that i didnt know better. Anyway.. it will be ok.. just keep up with water changes and stay on top of algae (if you have it) but like everyone has said.. "moving forward.. always go with R/O water...

Good luck.

Mercuryne

HI,

on the left side of your keyboard..theres a button called cap locks...turn that OFF so you can stop SHOUTING

Archived