inTank Media Baskets

General question, regarding starting a reef...

Phish

When you started your reefs, did you add the fish before the coral, after the coral, or sometime inbetween.

I am going to add my fish last.

What did you do?

Originally posted by Phish

When you started your reefs, did you add the fish before the coral, after the coral, or sometime inbetween.

I think I would like to add my fish first because, if I were to add in the fish suddenly it could be sick (I have no quar. tank) it could be potentially bad or harmful to the corals.

What would you do?

corals first, fish later. don't buy sick fish. and you shouldnt put fish in for a good 2 months, so not when you start your reef. After cycling you must mean. start tank= setup>cycle>stocking

Yeah, I know I finished cycling, and I know not to buy sick fish, but not all fish have simptoms, ya know, So I was just wondering what other people did, and in what order.

I think slow and steady will be the way to go. After cycle do 1 month of clean up crew, then a month of soft corals then your fish. It will allow time for the tank to become really established so it will be ready for the heavier bioload that fish produce.

harbingerofthefish

Ditto.

the fish is gonna produce more waste than any coral. It will give time to build up a filter for the tank. Plus I think a lot of us buy frags due to our tank size. So at first we spend a lot of time in the tank gluing, moving, and just rearanging our tanks. Putting a fish in thewre early could lead to stress during all this. Plus, due to tank size, you might only be able to have 1 fish. The longer you wait on it, the more sure you are about the type of fish you want, and it's care requirements.

After a year, my fish is just a distraction, the first 6 months I got more excited about watching a new polyp grow than I ever have about seeing my swim through a whole in the rock.

With any reef, good things take time. There is just no reason to rush.

I know... I dont mean to sound rude but I am no NooB, I know what i am doing, I just wanted to know if I should add the fish first or at the end... I actually was thinking of going with no fish, Pure reef, but I might get a clown Goby or two... But most likely no fish.

I have had Fresh water for over 14 years (I know, its nothing like SW hold your toung for a sec)

And a FOWLR 40g for a couple of years, the FOWLR was taken down because I went on vacation and the person who 'took care of the tank' didnt really take care of the tank.

I came home to "I dont know why they started dying... It just happend..."X)

We've always gone the corals frist first route with all our tanks. Fish generally arent introduced into much later, if at all. This just basically gives the tank time to get well established and will also give the pods and other live rock critters time to reproduce without any predation.

Good luck!

Val

I meant "What did you do?" personally, just interested, because a lot of people I know added the fish first... So I wanted to see who else did that, I think its a bad way of doing things...

Archived