ReefCleaners.org

Corals to keep with low light?

z6joker9

quick background-I have a Galaxy 5, which appears to be a rebadged Eclipse 6 system that sells for half the price. anyway, i have ~7lbs of live rock, a small percula, 2 snails and 2 dwarf zebra hermits. i did have a camel shrimp but i have not seen him recently, so he may have passed or he may be hiding. it has the stock biowheel filtration and stock lighting, which i can't tell the wattage right now, but it's probably around 2 watts per gallon.

as i have a larger tank for a "show tank", this is more of my bedroom tank and i dont want to invest alot of money on extra lighting. i wanted to keep some hardy corals that dont require heavy lighting, but add some nice touches to it. since it's a small tank they'd have to get along with everyone well.

with these circumstances, what would you recommend? if you think of a good suggestion that isn't related to coral, feel free to let me know it as well. thanks!

what are some non-photo corals? i'm at the research point right now for coral, most of my knowledge so far is on fish and motile inverts, so if possible walk me through this.

for example, what exactly are zoos? if they are the flower looking things, i might have some that were hitchhikers and i might be incorrectly calling those polyops.

a friend of mine offered me a specimen of Ricordea. is this a mushroom? how well with this do?

speific suggestions of certain kinds would be a huge help. pointing me in the direction of a good place to read up on these would be appreciated as well.

You could get a sun coral (tubestra). It is non-photosynthetic, but you have to hand feed it every couple days. It is a pain, but they are beautiful when happy. Mushrooms and most zoos should be fine too. I think Ricordea need a little more light to be happy.

correct, the 120g is about 8 months old and currently has only 4 different corals in it, each were studied individually, so outside of those four i do not know much about any other certain coral.

edit: btw, thank you very much for the link. it's proving to be very helpful!

Archived