Pod Your Reef

Sarcophyton sp. lighting question

aquariumclown

I bought a toadstool leather a while back, he's about 3 inches tall and 3 inches wide at the top. I've noticed that the polyps open up less and less week by week. Everything else does fine in the tank, (ricordeas, red/green sroooms, star polyps, torch, montipora, acro frag, colt). Not sure what's causing this unhappiness. But all the water parameter test fine...

ph = 8.0

amonia = 0

nitrite = 0

nitrate = less than 10

This is a 30 gal hex. I also change 5% water each week.

I have 2x36 pc. and 150w MH 20k. Is it possible that the MH is too much/intense light for this softie? It seems to shed all the time too. Anyone had this experience before?

First of all...whtat size tank is it? And where is the coral located...the bottom, the top, the middle? If it is a nano, 150watts MH plus actinic might be a little much if you are running only say...a bowfront...but you can get around that. Place the leather more on it's side top see if getting less direct light helps it. How many hours per day do you run your halide? You could cut back possibly...and then just run actinic for a few more hours per day (leathers like extra actinic it seems...you could almost leave actinic on 24hours a day and they would love you for it). BTW, what is that reading for nitrate based in??? PPM? Sorry, not a test kit buff like so many, but that does seem a little high...although leathers are rather immune to nitrates, but just in case you could introduce some macro like halmedia or grassilaria to help bring that down...not critical though.

First of all...whtat size tank is it?

Is is a 30 gal Hex.

And where is the coral located...

Located at the bottom corner, not shaded at all.

How many hours per day do you run your halide?

11 hours on both MH and PC. Since I didn't see any affect on other corals. I didn't decrease the photo period length. I will consider that just to see if the leather would react differently.

what is that reading for nitrate based in PPM?

Yes it's in ppm, sorry I forgot to put that in. I do have some scraps of halimeda growing, but it's not a lot.

Thanks for the input.

My first instinct is that there's not enough flow. So, it was in a high flow area. I'll have to try keeping it in a lower flow area.

Archived