Coral Vue Hydros

plans for a DIY 10 g canopy?

junglejim83

I just started my setup, i was wondering if anyone had some plans or at least general guideline on what i need and how to build a canopy for a 10 gal tank.  Also, what lighting would be good, i would like to eventually keep coral.  I am a student so I would like to keep the cost down. Any info is appreciated

I built my canopy for about 20 bucks. Used 1st grade pine. Heres what you need:

Front (x1) 6 x 21 3/4

Sides (x2) 6 x 10 1/4

Back  (x1) 2 x 10 1/4

Top (x4) 3 x 20 1/4

The front is a flush board, what I maen by that is it's the only borad you see. The sides sit inside the front then the back sits inside the sides. hard to explain but if you draw it all out using the dimensions I gave you you'll see.

I use "L" brackets to keep the hood on the tank. and feed and dose from the back since there is a 3" gap in the back due to the back board being so small. I am able to mount my ballast on the back board outside the hood. The space in the back also disapates the heat. I painted the hood black and have a black stand which I bought. You can also decorate the hood a bit more. I have some flowered molding that I added which gives it a nice touch.

As far as lights I run 2x36W PC's a 6500K and an actinic bulb. The  both mount very nicely in the hood, and as I said the ballast does too.

Total cost:

Wood: aprox $12.00 (Home Depot)

Sandpaper, brackets, hardware etc.: $10.00 (Home Depot)

Lighting Kit 2x36w ballast and hardware: $64.99 (AHSupply.com)

6400K bulb: $13.99 (AHSupply.com)

Blue actinic bulb: $17.99 (AHSupply.com)

Grand total: Hood and Lights $120 Pretty reasonable.

You can do less light if you are on a budget, but this set up has worked awesome for me and I would definitely recommend it. Lights are the key, trust me. I skimped on lights in the past on my bigger tanks and paid the price in lost livestock. If you can't afford good lights now, my advice is don't start your tank until you can. I know it's hard to wait but you'll be glad you did...trust me on this one!

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest using one 10,000K bulb and one Actinic 03 Bulb.  I have about the same setup as fish04, but bought my lights from www.hellolights.com .  

Of course you can play with whatever color combo you like, but this is the one that was suggested to me and I have found very pleasing to my eyes.

I even used the cheap craft pine from Lowes that he was talking about.  I managed to chop my reflectors put my lighting close enough together that I have room for my Red Sea Prizm skimmer, and Penguin Mini, and a HOB Heater,  all on the back and have enough room for a 2" wide feeding/testing door across the front.  

I am not quite finished with the hood but it is also going to contain a small incadescent bulb so that I can simulate lunar lighting cycles with an X10.

I am finishing off the cheap pine with some nice veneering too.  

HTH

(Edited by OscarBeast at 11:18 pm on Feb. 28, 2002)

Archived