Coral Vue Hydros

The Official Scooter Blenny thread!

roninmagik1

So i got a scooter blenny, and i searched for a thread on them but didnt' find one, so i'm gonna start one. If one already exists and my searching skills were off tonight, let me know and i'll kill the thread...anyhow, with that said, i got a scooter blenny a couple days ago, and so i'm starting a thread to hopefully get some people talking about what it eats, how cool they are, what they did to take care of it, etc..etc....

I'll make the thread a little more interesting by adding my best pic so far of "Scarlett Alexia" as my family has named her!

Right now i've been feeding her mysis shrimp and she nibbles at those, but other than that not much eating action, which has me worried, as the LFS guy told me the scooter would eat flake food.. I should have asked him to feed the fish and show me, but anyhow....i have a small ghetto refugium in the back, just an aquaclear hob filter filled w/ rocks and cheato...do yall think that's gonna help the copepod population and keep her alive?

Also, i haven't seen it yet, but my friend tells me that scooter blennys bury themselves in the sand at night to sleep which i think is super cool!

Thats all for now, proud scooter owners, post your pics and thoughts and experiences!!!

Freeedoommm!!!!

(sorry had a Braveheart flashback) =)

post-28485-1227578727_thumb.jpg

I decide if a thread is official or not. Yours: not. Sorry.

but seriously, if yours is nibbling at mysis, thats a good sign. If it's nibbling that means between that bit of mysis and what pod population you do have, it can probably get by until it figures out that the mysis is food. Once it learns that mysis is food, hopefully it will learn to eat other prepared foods. She's a fine specimen, hopefully you will have one of the rare scooter blenny success stories. I've never heard anything about them burying themselves in the sand, the one I had for a short time (unsuccessful LFS rescue) never buried itself.

Make sure it eats in the next few days or take it back and exchange for ?? I loved mine. It ate almost anything I could get to settle on the bottom. I turned the pumps off to feed. Sadly it jumped out of my 29-gal. and went carpet surfing :o I haven't replaced it yet.

They do bury them selves its cool to see.After the lights are off look for her eyes, also when I wake up in the morning I see her coverd in sand and swiming around. As for here eating I would keep give her the mysis shrimp and offer her some other frozen food at the same. When its feeding time I turn of the pumps. I got lucky with my scooter, she eats all most every thing. I have had her for a couple of months now and shes keeps geting fatter. Anyways good luck with yours.

I have 2 scooter blennys. One in my 29gal cube and one in my 20gal long. The one in my 29gal cube has been with me for 6 months and has grown already. The other one has been with me for 2 months and is doing pretty well also. They both feed on artemia, cyclopeeze and the pods in my tanks. They are so cute especially when they try to bury themselves in the sand at night. You can just see some part of their head peeping out. heheh! :lol:

Quick update, Scarlett the Scooter is doing fine, although I'm still worried about her eating habits. I'm going to buy some garlic filled flake food I saw at my LFS, (supposed to get finicky fish to eat), as well as trying to get some live brine shrimp. Although she will chew on a mysis shrimp or two, she hasn't gotten very enthusiastic about them. More to come, people post your pics!

Woohoo! A scooter thread. I love mine. I dont know how many time I thought he was gone and after 20 minutes of searching he pops up out of the sand. Mine is a pig and will eat anything, except squid. He is not a fan.

AP24369.jpg

AP24203.jpg

• 4 months later...
gretchannierem

I just got a scooter blenny, and was told they were easy to care for by my local store, and then I got home and read they are difficult, I got very worried and turned here. For all of you out there who have one of these cute little guys, HELP!! Any suggestions? I have frozen brine shrimp, will that be enough? Do they require any special needs

? Any info you have would be greatly appreciated... Thanks! :)

Premnas biaculeatus
I just got a scooter blenny, and was told they were easy to care for by my local store, and then I got home and read they are difficult, I got very worried and turned here. For all of you out there who have one of these cute little guys, HELP!! Any suggestions? I have frozen brine shrimp, will that be enough? Do they require any special needs

? Any info you have would be greatly appreciated... Thanks! :)

most fish stores sell frozen copepods, buy some of those and then hold the cube in your tank for 3-5 seconds once a day and your scooter blenny will be set. oh and i just bought a scooter today and LOVE her.

gretchannierem
most fish stores sell frozen copepods, buy some of those and then hold the cube in your tank for 3-5 seconds once a day and your scooter blenny will be set. oh and i just bought a scooter today and LOVE her.

Sad news... I lost mine today... :tears: not sure why, conditions are all fine... Thanks for your answer though...

I've had mine for months, it's grown quiet a bit. I turn off the pumps when I feed and mysis fall to the bottom and he goes nuts. He will even swim with the other fish and try and eat them in the water. I didn't know that they buried at night until one night I was freaked out by a pair of eyes staring at me!

Maroon Clown
Sad news... I lost mine today... :tears: not sure why, conditions are all fine... Thanks for your answer though...

thats to bad, well it must have been weak to begin with. :(

• 1 month later...
matt frizz

I just got a scooter blenny (dragonet really) today. I bought a large value pack of frozen foods with all sorts to try out. It's a little bit hard to get the food to settle to the bottom (the clowns are much faster than him) but once it does I've caught him eating some of it. He doesn't go out of his way to find it but if he sees some floating around his head he'll eat it completely.

Hoping that this is a good sign and that I can keep the little guy alive.

• 3 weeks later...
PrincessLiLi

Very ironic that this tread just came up because on the beginners forum i was jus posting on how my scooter blenny is dyng and im very upset make sure u feed u scooter blenny different foods or it will die

Should make it the official Dragonet thread that way you could incorperate Mandarins amd such too. I can not wait untill I get a pair of RSB going with my Mandarins.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi! 

• My little “Lenny the Blenny” has acted weird today. Breathing quickly and swam up to the top of my tank next to the glass. Normally he doesn’t come that close when I’m actively there in the tank. But it sort of looked like a cry for help. He let me scoop him out and I placed him in a cup in a dark styrofoam box to help calm him down. I then took the opportunity to rearrange my tank and do my water change (32g biocube). When I was finished I let the water filter/settle for an hour before placing him back. When I slowly poured him back onto the rocks (after slowly submerging the whole cup then tilting) he was still breathing heavily and a current flipped him over. He didn’t make a move to swim. So I swished the water for him to flip back over and he swam to the bottom. I’ve never known him to have this behavior and be so rigid. Any ideas?