Top Shelf Aquatics

ID Help Please

jamesjen

I'm not sure what it is either but I'd take him/them out of the tank to be on the safe side. 'cause who knows, it might eat your newly bought corals someday. And by then he might have grandchildren.

If you ask me, it looks dang creepy.

Cheers.

Can I take the rock and do a freshwater dip to drive them out? Will that kill the small corals? Any help here would be great. He's only been in a few hours and I think I can contain them if you guys think I need to dip him.

I don't know exactly what it is (some type of pod-esque-creature... lol), but it's cute!

Frankly, if it's living in the rock like that, I'd just keep an eye on it for a while.

It's probably pretty well established in that rock, and like a bristleworm, will only come out to hunt for food. (Just guessing here).

If the coral isn't dammaged, I doubt it predates on corals. It looks more like a planktonic feeder.

Looks kinda similar to the description of a Caprellis "Skeleton" shrimp in the Delbeek/Sprung volume 1. Does it have any arms that it uses to grab the food, or is it more of a millepede? I may snag these two pics and throw them on RC. Interesting. I'd just keep it fed for the time-being, if it has it's own den, and it staying grounded there.b

Update - so this morning we woke up to find the slaughter had begun... one of our little fish was sucked up against the hole that the 'monster millipede' comes out of. The little invader was having a nice fish breakfast in bed. So we did a freshwater dip and the vampire fell out with about 4 of his little baby minions. Even completely constricted he's longer than the rock he was on... About 4 inches...looks just like a millipede. Only creepier.

so would it hurt to always do a freshwater dip to any coral we buy before putting it in the tank?

Thx!

well i dipped my zoo's i dont know how many times thinking there was a mantis shrimp in that rock and they did fine, but i also lost a kenya tree in the process. So i cant really say

Archived