ReefCleaners.org

I.D. Please

BttrFlyKzz

I have had my tank set up about a week now and I have noticed these weird black "blobs" growing on my live rock. There are also light red worm like things growing on the same rock. I have included pictures if anyone can I.D. that would be great.

I also have "cobweb" like algea I want to call it growing- can you I.D. and tell me if it is for sure algea or something that needs to be gotten rid of? Thanks!

Both are sponges, IMO. The second "Spider-web" types are the "epoxy of the sea" and, with coralline algae, help weld rock together over time. Should both be fine, and are a good sign.

Great thanks for the information... I was suching the tank again and found two more great things (anyways I hope they are great)- I am sorry I am asking so many I.D. questions but I'm a newbie and I want to make sure all is going smoothly :) Here is a picture of what I believe to be some sort of Starfish (which is circled) he did move around very fast and climbed all over the rocks... Also, when I spoted him I noticed some small, round, red thing- I am not sure what to call it, this is circled too and is at the left of the screen. Thanks so much for helping me- anything anyone can I.D. would be great :)

Thanks again,

Angie

Mini-brittle star. good detritus eaters, stir your sandbed, etc. Very good

The red thing: no idea from the pic. Describe it a bit better: hard calcerous or soft/hollow?

Well, it feels soft a little squishy. It has a red base with a red- what almost looks like a mushroom head... I want to say it is some sort of mushroom but it is still so small I am unable to tell. I have taken another picture from the top but I am still not sure if it is a good enough shot to tell what it is. Thanks for the help!

Archived