Coral Vue Hydros

Are there any downside to using a underated skimmer

baseballman50

baseballman50

Hey, I was wondering if there is a downside to running a skimmer that is "under-rated" for a tank. For example, a Tunze 9002 on a 75g. I don't have this setup, but would it just mean more cleaning of the collection cup? Wouldn't it do the same as it does on a nano tank? Is there a way to run a setup like that? Or would it just mean more cleaning of the skimmer and collection cup? Thanks.

Nah, it should really pull out just as much as it would on any other system. Skimmers can only remove so much, though. But considering some people run without them altogether, I don't think its impossible.

It also depends on what you'd like to keep.

eh, it will be close. Still think its not gonna skim effectively on that size tank. Guess if he keeps softies only.

depends on what you mean "skim as effectively".

Will it pull out the amount of skimmate it is designed to? yes

Will that be "enough" for the tank? Perhaps.

eh, it will be close. Still think its not gonna skim effectively on that size tank. Guess if he keeps softies only.

???

why wouldn't you get any skimmate?

baseballman50

This is not my setup, I was trying to make a common example with common skimmers/ tank sizes. Also, I'm trying to make a list for a 125g I have on order at my lfs. To save a little money, I was thinking if I could just use a smaller skimmer, just clean it out more it would work just as well.

So yea, I'm gonna have a 125, I'm thinking about a Coralife Super Skimmer 65, I saw one on craigslist. I plan on mostly softies/ lps with some sps. Probably about 1/4-3/8 of the corals sps.

Sorry for the poor example, I should of just asked if this setup^^ was gonna be ok in the first place! :blush:

Thanks for the help guys.

This is not my setup, I was trying to make a common example with common skimmers/ tank sizes. Also, I'm trying to make a list for a 125g I have on order at my lfs. To save a little money, I was thinking if I could just use a smaller skimmer, just clean it out more it would work just as well.

So yea, I'm gonna have a 125, I'm thinking about a Coralife Super Skimmer 65, I saw one on craigslist. I plan on mostly softies/ lps with some sps. Probably about 1/4-3/8 of the corals sps.

Sorry for the poor example, I should of just asked if this setup^^ was gonna be ok in the first place! :blush:

I would use a more powerful skimmer.

Skimmers can only pull out the maximum amount that they are designed to. In your case, with that much SPS, I'd go bigger. Just my opinion, though.

kermitthedaniel

ok well you could but it would only skim so much, and probably not keep up to the entire size of the tank, which you might overstock chances are high, another thing a CS skimmer is not really that good of a skimmer people use CS 65 on a 20G, so on a 125G even the CS125 isnt that good, there are just on the low end skimmers, might as well spend a little money and do it properly because your going to buy one later on anyways in order for it to keep up, the CS125 wont even keep up.

With softies, I'd want him to use an oversized skimmer even moreso given all the alleopathy going on in a softie tank.

the issue is the amount of tank water being processed. an undersized skimmer will function just fine (as with anything good ones will work better than bad ones). If you have a 100 gallon and a small skimmer is only passing 50gallons of water in an hour (after air draw a skimmer pump isn't drawing anywhere near its water only GPH rating) it takes 2 hours just for your tank volume to be processed one time. so its possible no matter how good the skimmer is its just not capable of processing enough tank water to keep the tank as clean as it should. for a tank that is not very dependent on skimming (like many nano tanks, say relies on water changes and low bioload) or remains clean without skimming already this might not be a big deal at all. On the other hand you have tanks so dependent on skimming that they will go down the drain in days if their appropriately sized skimmer breaks down and they dont change any practices to make up for the lack of skimming. An undersized skimmer should skim all the time (save the temperary stoppage from feeding ect) because its not capable of removing all the organics BUT wether it skims alot or a little is still dependent on the dilution of organics. If you have low disolved organics the skimmer has no way of knowing if the total system volume is 30 gallons or 100gallons. That said how many people do you know who buy a 100g for a low bioload. that doesn't tend to happen with an undersized skimmer because organics build up from inadequate skimming to begin with (if they dont consider it adequate for that particular tank, bioload and maintenence schedule).

Likewise if you put a skimmer designed for a 500g on a 30g it has processed all your tank volume a zillion times in the first hour so its no longer producing any skimate and on top of that it has a half gallon collection cup and what it did skim looks like a rain drop in there.

All that to say if you are getting a skimmer because you "need" one dont go undersize. If you are already happy with your water quality and just want that extra polishing an undersize skimmer isn't going to hurt anything. Now if you get it and its filling up the cup every few days with nasty skimate your pre skimmer concept of good water quality might change.

You can contact Jeff at Euro-Reef...they have a ton of skimmers in all sizes that are old stock for very good prices.

They will be putting them on Ebay to get rid of them pretty soon but you can call them at 949-770-9913 ext.17 if you need one now.

Good Luck

Archived