Coral Vue Hydros

Phosban Reactor Pump

davidncbrown

So I was told to use a MJ400 to power my reactor... but when I throttle it down with the ball valve it makes this horrible grinding noise in the pump because of the back pressure. What pump do you guys that have a phosban reactor use?

BoaConchicken
So I was told to use a MJ400 to power my reactor... but when I throttle it down with the ball valve it makes this horrible grinding noise in the pump because of the back pressure. What pump do you guys that have a phosban reactor use?

thats exactly what i use. i didn't even worry about a ball valve though. do you think the flow is too much with the mj400?

thats exactly what i use. i didn't even worry about a ball valve though. do you think the flow is too much with the mj400?

It depends on what media you put in the reactor. Full throttle is fine for regular carbon, but not so much for phospate removers, which are generally a very small diameter. Not even possible with ROX carbon.

I have ROX, and GFO pellets in my reactor. I use a minijet404 dialed down as slow as it will go. Then I have the ball valve open only about half way or less. If I had to guess, I would say it's only pumping 30-50gph through the reactor. It sure does keep the water CLEAR though, and I have some happy SPS.

Thanks for the replies guys. I couldn't use the mj400 as it was WAY too powerful and would blow the phosban granules all over inside the reactor. I guess it would be fine for running activated carbon or some other type of media, but phosban is friable and will just disintegrate into powder when run this way. I ended up using an aquarium sys. microjet pump. It works beautifully, and with the valve set half way I get good fluidity of the media w/o over-fluidizing it.

Archived