Top Shelf Aquatics

My 7g-minibow Tank

rperrice

Here's a shot of my 7 gallon AGA minibow. Its been up and running since March.

Specs:

32w CSL retrofit

Whisper HOB

Tronic 50w heater

2 Minijets

12 lbs. live rock & sand

AGA plastic stand

Corals:

Mushrooms, zoos, finger leather, two types frogsprawn, purple finger, gsp, ricordia

Livestock:

Tomato clown, royal gramma, bta, cleaner & peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, a couple of snails & hermits

I just set up a 5-gallon; just waiting for it to cycle.

Wow! Nice tank. Kind of an inspiration to me seeing as I just started adding corals to mine a few days ago....pretty much the same specs too ;). Looks great, and post more pics!

it's packed man. I sorta feel bad for that tomato clown. they get like 5-6in as adults. BUT I love that gentle semicircle you made with the light focused onto the middle of the tank. it is very attractive and if you had a real showpiece it should go there imo. Post more pics!

harbingerofthefish

I think you might need another 5-10 LR in there ;)

what is that right above the leather? Is that the other frogspawn or is the spawn the little thing on the sand?

Thanks for the comments. All you guys on the nano-reef board have provided great information.

The clown and the gramma get along great. There is a standoff once in a while, but no chasing or fighting. I know tomato clowns get big, so I'm working on convincing my wife to get a larger tank and my employer to give me a raise. Its a beautiful thing watching the clown host the bta (or vice versa). I got this tomato clown from MarineDepot although its color is more darker than other tomato's I've seen. Perhaps its a cinnamon clown, which would be great because I read they don't grow as big.

I was told the corals above the leather are a type of frogsprawn by the LFS. Maybe they are wrong. Its body is brown, its tentacles are stubby and its tips are a flourescent green. The green patch on the bottom is the green star polyps.

I know I have a lot of stuff in the tank, so I try and keep the water quality high by doing a 10-15% water change on the weekends and a smaller one during the week.

Lately I had some red slime algae pop up. I tried to figure out the cause and I concluded it has to due with the water I use. I was using Wissahickon distilled water made in PA and never had a algae problem. Then I happened to use a couple of other supermarket brands and the red slime appeared. These other brands must have a high amount of phosphates in them.

I will post more pictures soon.

Archived