Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

filter seawater?

david

I have a 12 gal nanocube that I am getting ready to start. My local store has seawater from off Catalina Is, S. Calif. I've read (Bob Fenner) that it can be necessary to filter and treat (keep in darkness, filter, possibly dose and then use carbon to reclean) seawater for harmful microbugs etc. Does anyone think this is necessary? I am assuming that it will be much easier to do water changes with seawater rather than mixing small amounts of synthetic sea water.

Also, any recommendations on live rock - are different source locaations very different. Two choices I have locally are Hawaii and the Marshall Is. Most web sources require a too large amount to order.

Thanks. I love this forum already.

david

David what store are you going to for your sea water? I know that Nippon off Geary street also offers sea water which they claim to get off the coast of Half Moon Bay.

I have a 12 gallon and find it pretty easy to just mix my water with ro/di and instant ocean salt. That way you know exactly whats in it and don't have to worry about the stuff you mentioned above.

But I have friends that always use the sea water from Nippon so I think you can go either way.

thanks. someone had told me that Nippon's water came from off Santa Catalina. I live near there. Your tank tooks wonderful. Did you get the sand and rock from Nippon too?

david

I got my sand and rock from Hung Ming Pet Central in North Beach off broadway street. They have a decent selection of corals for newbies, not much as far as exotic stuff...don't even have rics or zoos. If you do stop by there, ask for Terry. He is very smart and will guide you in the right directions.

If the water is from Catalina Water Company it is filtered. If it is not then you can't use it in a reef. NSW (unfiltered) is too nutrient rich, you will get massive algae, yellow water, etc. Plus, after surfing many Cali beaches I wouldn't think Catalina is fdar enough away to avoid pollutants. You CAN use it of course, but I do not recommend it.

thanks for that. now I'm leaning towards the mix. but if not I'll make sure it is filtered.

any suggestions on the "best" LR and LS in small quantities (for 12 gal JBJ cube). all books say get the best, but the web sources I see all sell quite large quanities as minumums.

david

Archived