Innovative Marine Aquariums

BioCube protien skimmer

GIRLGONEAQUA

Did you like the skimmer?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the skimmer?

• No.
    • YES!

I just recently bought a protein skimmer for my biocube 14g, and I was wondering who else on this board has one or has tried one and what their thoughts on it were?

Thanks

Needs work to get anything decent out of it. I extended the tube and raised the skimmer about 1/4" (with mods to the hood for clearance). Now it pulls out much more than it did before, but it's still a super wet skim. Also needs constant adjustment.

So iv used it for 1 day now and I hate it, at night im a very light sleeper and that thing is F-in loud! so I took it out and now returning to carbon. I may use it if I go on trips and I leave the tank with a friend or something.....

So iv used it for 1 day now and I hate it, at night im a very light sleeper and that thing is F-in loud! so I took it out and now returning to carbon. I may use it if I go on trips and I leave the tank with a friend or something.....

Can you tell me what kind of footprint is available where the skimmer goes...water level, total height etc.

Our nano skimmers are totally quiet...we might take up the challenge and built one for you.

Regards,

Nanoskim

Which skimmer are you talking about? The one made by oceanic? Link? I got one for my ap and it was a piece of junk, just want to make sure I'm thinking of the same thing.

its oceanic. I put it in like you would in the directions fits fine, didnt raise my water level, and the bubbling stayed just below the opening of the collection container.

mine works pretty well. I do not have the hood on my tank because i am using the 70 watt sunpod, but i do have the skimmer raised about 1/4". I am also using an auto top off so it keeps the water level constant. It did take like 3 weeks to fully break in, so give it some time and keep an eye on the water level. You want the bubbles to stop right at the lip when the cup is removed. The skimmate is a little watery, but it still does the job on my fully stocked tank. Check out my gallery if you would like.

It's an ok at best skimmer - I recently upgraded mine to another skimmer, but Evil's comments are spot on - extend the reaction chamber, put a better pump on there, and hope for the best.

its okay guys! I dont really need it for a tank so small. even my LFS (that luvs me) said dont worry with skimmers, just replace your carbon regularly. seriously i had it in for 1 night and it collected a full container of "clean" water and was loud as hell! (and yes I had it set up by the manual correctly)

Archived