Innovative Marine Aquariums

MAJOR POSSIBLE CALCIUM DOSING POSSIBLE BREAKTHROUGH! READ THIS PLZ.

reefer123

ok so heres how i see it, i am dosing kalk in top off. this ph is around 12, extremely basic, which is corrosive. if this corrosive mixture ran through a container with calcium reactor media in it, would it act like a low ph calcium reactor chamber and dissolve the Ca media, mixing calcium with aragonite and such?? thus doubleing levels of needed hard coral requirements?? or would more calcium not dissolve in it because it is so calcium rich??? i think this could b a beneficial discovery in saveing money from buying a Ca reactor. please post your thoughts.

THANKS ABUNCH

Corrosive can be both acidic or alkaline and it the case of kalk which is calcium hydroxide it is alkaline. As you said it has a pH of 12 but calcium carbonite needs a pH of around 6.5 to dissassociate.

high pH will mean the calcium carbonate (aragonite is one form) would not dissolve.

You're confusing the pH scale. corrosive = acidic. caustic = basic = kalk = wouldn't work. Sorry, but you have it backwards. Would be cool if it worked like that though.

er1c_the_reefer

it won't dissolve. the reason ca reactors work is because of the carbonic acid produced when mixing CO2 and water. the acid in turn dissolves the media.

basically put:

CO2 + H2O <=> H2CO3 <=> 2H+ + 1 carbonate

2H+ + 2CaCO3 => 2calcium + 2H20 + 2CO2

edit... its like CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O → Ca(HCO3)2

it won't dissolve. the reason ca reactors work is because of the carbonic acid produced when mixing CO2 and water. the acid in turn dissolves the media.

basically put:

CO2 + H2O <=> H2CO3 <=> 2H+ + 1 carbonate

2H+ + 2CaCO3 = 2calcium + 2H20 + 2CO2

Thanks for the equation. I hate writing them without subscript. Drives me nuts. How sad is that.

You're confusing the pH scale. corrosive = acidic. caustic = basic = kalk = wouldn't work. Sorry, but you have it backwards. Would be cool if it worked like that though.

So, you quoted me, you were addressing reefer123? :unsure:

So, you quoted me, you were addressing reefer123? :unsure:

ya I know, I was just lazy and didn't want to scroll down. I was just gonna delete the quote. My bad :unsure:

Thanks for the equation. I hate writing them without subscript. Drives me nuts. How sad is that.

Just because I'm a biochem major, I'll write it out, subscripts and all.

CO₂ + H₂O ⇋ H₂CO₃ ⇋ 2H⁺ + CO₃²⁻

2H⁺ + 2CaCO₃ = 2Ca + 2H₂O + 2CO₂

Balanced equations are teh sex. You've even got the proper equlibrium reaction symbol. Impressive.

er1c_the_reefer

word. :bowdown:

I'm a sophomore at OU, and I am gradually warming up to organic chemistry. The lab is more exciting. We got to ferment ethanol from yeast, purify caffeine from tea bags, extract lycopene from tomato paste, etc.

TheUnfocusedOne
I'm a sophomore at OU, and I am gradually warming up to organic chemistry. The lab is more exciting. We got to ferment ethanol from yeast, purify caffeine from tea bags, extract lycopene from tomato paste, etc.

Organic chem is always a great time, it really is just one giant puzzle

figuring out with synthesis gets your product where, and how it'll effect your other substituents on the molecule

Inorgs where its out

iz be resurchin Ru based photosensitation molecules for possible applications to photovoltaic cells for direct energy conversion or use in photolysis of water molecules into its substiuents to help fuel a possible (probably) future hydrogen economy

yeah, inorg is the way to go

biochem is... kinda cool...

orgo ftw.

I was grading my latest set of lab reports yesterday, and apparently whoever teaches these people in lecture is an idiot. when asked what would happen if 1/2 the amount of Pd was used in the reaction, they ALL seem to think it would produce 1/2 the amount of product. :huh:

Note: orgo ftw applies only in the world of chem.

bio is FTW with caps, of course.

TheUnfocusedOne
nerds.

YAH I SAID IT.

i am, and im loving it

chem is the way to go, there something awesome about being paid while attending graduate school

you pay me to get my Ph.D?

well, if you insist :happy:

its just awesome to feel part of a epic world changing project that will have massive implications on humanity down the road

i mean hell, scientist from USC, MIT, CalTech and a lot of very prestigious institution are all working non stop to solve this problem

just being able to be partly on the same level with individuals like Nocera, Gray and Meyer make me all excited and goose bumpy

getting back to you statement, yes im a huge nerd :lol:

TheUnfocusedOne
orgo ftw.

I was grading my latest set of lab reports yesterday, and apparently whoever teaches these people in lecture is an idiot. when asked what would happen if 1/2 the amount of Pd was used in the reaction, they ALL seem to think it would produce 1/2 the amount of product. :huh:

Note: orgo ftw applies only in the world of chem.

bio is FTW with caps, of course.

:eek:

id kick some ass n take some names

:slap::rant:

its a damn catalyst!

(im assuming your talking about some kind of catlytic reaction liiike the addition of hydrogen to olefins)

when did this "orgo" thing start? when i was in school everyone referred to it as "o-chem"

orgo sounds stupid.

I hear it called o-chem still

orgo is just sexier sounding

o-chem is harsh and rough

oooorgooo

mmm... thats nice....

id kick some ass n take some names

:slap::rant:

its a damn catalyst!

(im assuming your talking about some kind of catlytic reaction liiike the addition of hydrogen to olefins)

Yeah the class avg. is just under a 55% for this. And rightfully so.

Morans.

Archived