Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dude.... Sweet

phishhead

I was cleaning, feeding and water changing yesterday evening and cut off the PH and the HOB filter. Well, when finished i got tired and fell asleep on the couch and my timer cut the light and i just went to be not realizing i never turned the Hob and the PH back on. This morning i woke up and was adding my B-ionic and realized what i did and plugged in the PH and it came right on... then the HOB and nothing happened. I tried pouring water in the HOB and still nothing... i suspect i need a new HOB now but the questiion is how soon.... is this something i need to do on my lunch break today?? or can it wait til tonight when i get off work. 2nd inquiry is whether or not i can just add a brand new HOB to the tank without it causing some kind of algae bloom or another biological quackmire. Please help! :o Thanks, JB

I had a hob on my 7 and whenever I unplugged it to clean it (or when the circuit breaker flipped) it would not restart.

What I did was take a tweezers and give the impeller a little nudge. that almost always got the little thing moving again. They are cheap so replacing them ain't a big deal but if it isn't necessary, why bother?

Same as Crakeur here-Some of my HOB's start right back up with no problem and some need a nudge. I have powerheads that do it too. Come to think of it I think all of the ones that have done that are AquaClear brand. Not bashing the company as I have quite a few of their HOB's and enjoy them but just making an observation.

clean the impeller (scrubbing and possibly even soaking in white vinegar, then rinsing well) and try it again.

if still not working, then try giving it a nudge.

if still dead, last chance is to call customer service, I'm not sure exactly what happens, but sometimes the magnet/motor coil have to be "reset" they might have you try this (and test the impeller) by taking out the impeller, plugging the pump in, and slowly bringing the impeller toward its seat, which I does something with the magnetic fields, and might "reset" the impleller. Also, if you feel the magnetic pull while doing this, you can at least make sure the motor part of the pump is working, and that means worst case is a new impeller, which customer service should hook you up with, if its under warranty (always tell them you bought it a month ago)

nice "Dude where's my car reference".

I am backing Mikestod. In my experience with aquaclears, if all the water flows out of the impeller chamber you just need to add a bit back to get it going. If there was still water in there and it won't kick in the impeller has too much sludge around it.

Have fun!

add in some water, then use tweesers and nudge the impeller, that always happened to any HOB filter I ever used (think its a universal problem after 3 months of use or so)

Archived