Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is this possible - TDS?

rtb

it could be. but that could also be 39 ppm of copper. or lead. or iron, or phosphate, or some other harmful dissolved solid. and your water could be 300 ppm TDS and have 300 ppm of calcium in it. TDS is just a measure for determining how efficient a water purification system is. my tap water is 65 ppm tds. and it grows algae like CRAZY in freshwater tanks and my FOWLR tank when the chemipure elite wares out.

^^ +1. A Tds meter is great to have. Just because the number is low though it dosn't mean safe. Shoot for 0-2. 39 chould also be most likely chlorine :scarry: . Where did you get yours at btw. I bought mine at walgreens. Works like a charm. Already caught my lfs with bad water . Got a 183 reading one time. B.astards. <_<

Obviously I dont add tap water to the tank via water changes and top off. Just saying compared to other cities I have seen posted the water is very low in TDS.

I just got a TDS meter and tested water straight from the bathroom faucet. 39 TDS. Tested three times - same reading. That seems pretty damn good.
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine is over 800. Not that I would wish that on anyone but on the opposite end you need to be very careful of extremely low tap water TDS too as it can be very agressive just like DI water is. Low TDs water can have what is called a negative Langlier Index meaning it it is corrosive rather than the opposite end of the scale which tends to build up scale. Low pH and Langlier Index waters can leach the copper and lead out of solders and brass plumbing fixtures and cause more problems than high TDS or neutral to high Langlier Index waters.

^^ +1. A Tds meter is great to have. Just because the number is low though it dosn't mean safe. Shoot for 0-2. 39 chould also be most likely chlorine :scarry: . Where did you get yours at btw. I bought mine at walgreens. Works like a charm. Already caught my lfs with bad water . Got a 183 reading one time. B.astards. <_<

I caught a local LFS selling "RO/DI" water straight from the tap with a PPM over 500. My tap PPM is also over 500 most of the time.

results? refund? said your tds meter is borked?

Said sorry and that he'd check the system. Never went back there to find out if he was just full of it.

results? refund? said your tds meter is borked?

When I informed them and they gave me the typical head cocked sideways confused look and said " How can that be"? " how would you know that"? See ya , no business for you ! Thought in my best soup nazi voice! :angry:

Tropical Haven?

havent been to that store in a long time.

Decent prices on drygoods. Since they are a seachem retailer, thats the only reason why I visit that store. A friend warned me about their livestock, said he never got a fish there that survived QT, fw or sw.

After moving my RSM to my new house I got all my SW and RO from the LFS rather than trying to mix 40 gallons of water. Tested the RO and got a reading of 70! No wonder the guy told me he had issues with hair algae outbreak. I was really surprised. I know that's not 800 but still would think it would be 0 from LFS. Threw it all out and am mixing my own now. At least my TDS RO is 6!!

Archived