Pod Your Reef

Automatic topoff for $10-15

junglejim83

What you need: small air pump, rubber tubbing for pump, plastic conectors for tube(plastic things that tube fits around which can connect to other tube), a new gas can(plastic) and some superglue (or something similar), a timer.

Directions: take cap of can and remove the gas tube. Cover hole in cape with plastic (a disc cut froma milk jug will do)and glue it completely sealing hole in cap.  Then make two hole for the two tube connectors, then glue them in place making sure the connectors are exposed on both sides of the cap. Let dry completely.  Then connect the tube from the pump to on of the connectors.  On the other connector connect a tube long enough to touch the bottom of the gas can with something to hold it underwater(make sure the weight wont contaminate the water) on the other side of the water tube connector connect a tub long enough to run from below your tank  up to in your tank( and it must be below your tank other wise all the weter will syphon)into your tank)once this is done fill the can with water screw the cap on and plug the pump in and you'll see the water get pushed out of the can.  Once you find out how long it takes to replace a days worth of water evaporation alot that amount of time on your timer got the top-off system to run , plug it in and your done.

sorry about the typos, if you're unsure just post the question and i'll try to respond, I'm on often. If you have to buy everything it may cost more toward $15-20 but i had a timer, tubing, and a small pump, so all i had to pay for was the 2g gas can, that was $4

The water container has to be sealed air tight.  The air pump forces air into the container and the only place for the pressure to escape is for the water to be pushed up the tube into your tank.  Not a bad idea.  I wonder how reliable this is (staying air tight) and how big of an air pump you need.  Anyone know of QUIET air pumps?  I tossed mine because is drove me nuts with that noise!

-Tom

junglejim83

i use a tetra air pump(challenger special???whatever that is) it was $6, it is 115 volts, 60Hz, and 3 watts. I'd say you dont need a strong pump, and my water container is about 3' below the top of the tank where it pumps into.

Archived