Top Shelf Aquatics

10G Lighting Poll - What Do You Have?

viper531

Hi,

I'm doing research on setting up a 10G nano. I just wanted to know what lighting is popular among the reefers that have 10G nanos. I haven't decided on what fish/corals to keep yet (I'm waiting for my books to come in so that I can do some more research) but I would like to be able to keep almost anything.

The lighting options in the poll are pretty specific but they are the ones under consideration for my nano, so if you have other lighting or if you have suggestions or recommendations then feel free to post.

Thx!

I have a DIY 175w 20k MH with a cheap magnetic ballast. bulb, ballast, premade reflector, electrical box (to house ballast), wire, fittings, and timer cost about $120, by careful shopping. add $20-30 for a cooling fan if you're stuffing it in a hood ( built mine myself). Lighting is the most expensive equipment, and is worse if you keep upgrading, so go heavy on lighting right off the bat and you'll be set for the life of your tank (minus expensive replacement bulbs for MH, another consideration). have fun and good luck!

I kike the 36watt bulbs, because of their ability to just swap out one bulb at a time for color manipulation and dusk/dawn that the 96watt doesnt have. I like the 96watt for just having oooodles of light, and really good light at that when I saw the one my cousin bought. His only complaint was that the 96watt doesnt give even light so it is more like a spotlight that needs legs to look right. So I did 3x36watt!!! More light than a 96watt and more control (along with even light distribution).

I recieved my coralife 96w powerquad from hellolights.com last week and am very pleased! It's powerful, quiet, and the 50/50 quad bulb produces a beautiful spectrum of light.

-Kevin

I have 3 10 gallon tanks:

1 with 2x28 watt PC's

1 with 175mh (Sunburst w/ Hamilton 10,000K)

1 with 150mh HQI (PFO w/ Aqualine Buschke 13,000K bulb)

The 150HQI is superior by far. The others will be retiring when I move in a few months, and all will be HQI with AB bulbs

TheCarbonPenguin

I have a reflector setup from a 400 watt radium bulb (w/PFO HQI ballast) and the ballast broke so i am gettin rid of it and downgrading to 175 or 150. can i use the reflector and scoket (single end) with any single ended bulb? will the cord comming of it only owrk on PFO HQI ballasts? thanks

i got the aqualights 2x65 24" over my 10g, its longer than the tank but the lights were like only $99 bucks on ebay. its nice because it has two ballasts so it has a switch for the 10k and actinic.

Archived