ReefCleaners.org

Will my tank explode?

shrimphombre

Okay so today i noticed a small line of salt creep where my front panel meets the bottom of the tank. Its a 40 Breeder that i bought used so i have no idea how well this thing is held up. I guess i should've resiliconed it but i fw tested it and it seemed fine. The tank has been set up for about 3 months and I just now noticed this. Also, there is a lot more salt creep where the right panel meets the bottom of the tank. Is this a disaster waiting to happen? Can i just fix it by putting a thin bead of silicone on the outside? Any help is appreciated, I will post some pictures later today. Thanks!

I had a 30 gallon Hexagon I got from a friend for free literally explode on me. It would occasionally leak but I thought nothing of it and it always stopped when I patched it up with some silicone. Then one day an entire pane came loose and spilled 18+ gallons of water on the floor. I had to quickly remove my prized albino bichir and raphael catfish. I don't think I would want to see the mess it would create if I had been using saltwater in the tank.

In any event, if the tank leaks there can be enough pressure from powerheads and whatnot to eventually dislodge the pane(s) of glass. I would recommend remedying the problem ASAP if you don't want to risk anything. It shouldn't be too hard to just keep the current occupants in a few totes with some circulation for a few days until you can fix the tank.

Here are some pictures... so what should I do? I absolutely do not have time right now to buy/plumb a new tank, or fix the current one somehow and transfer everything at the moment. Do you guys think it would last for a couple of weeks? Is there a temporary fix? I'm dreading coming home or waking up to an inch of water in my entire living room. Any help is appreciated.

post-37479-1227322045_thumb.jpg

post-37479-1227322089_thumb.jpg

dorymarlin955

Was it leaking before or did it look "skimpy"? I freaked out when I set up my first tank, I saw the exact same thing and it turned out that I had just spilled some water. So there is a possibility that nothing's wrong, but I'd still ratehr be safe than sorry and check it out.

Archived