ReefCleaners.org

LED Retro into Current USA fixture

evilc66

• 1 month later...

Evil, I know the issue is still in the air with the UV benefits, but I'm curious what UV you used in this and el fabs retro, I MAY use a couple in my NC28 retro and 12" Satellite retro once I get things going with them.

Reason I ask is I've seen a couple posts lately of corals browing up a bit under LEDs versus MH, still growing great, but losing a bit of color, but like you say, the UV issue is still up in the air as to how it might benefit.

They were 410nm "UV" LEDs from Kai Domain. The output on these is pathetic, which is why I'm not using them any more. Browning of the corals is not from a lack of UV. It's almost certainly a water parameter if the coral has enough light. The theory to use UV is to make certain colors more vibrant, not to stop them from browning.

Still new to SPS, maybe I'm mistaking lack of vibrance with browning. I'll have to ask a reefclub SPS guru (probably the SPS god I got the coral from) to have a look as I can't get any pics to come out decent and taking 50 shots for one good one tries my patience. Sorry for the thread clutter.

• 4 weeks later...

Evil can the current usa 18'' nova extreme fixture be retro fitted with leds? Will it fit everything nicely? I just bought one for my 5.5g and am thinking that a little down the road i will gut it and retro fit it if it can be done

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, this thread is awesome and i'm trying to do something similar with my Current USA 2x18w T5 Fixture. I'm just having a little trouble finding what i need to get it done. Would it be asking too much of you to help me out just a little on what i would need to accomplish this? Or is your time worth $$? I want to keep my T5 bulbs in there, but i want to add on 3-4 of these awesome LED's. Think it's possible?

Anyways, let me know if you could just point me in the right direction. You don't even know how much i would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

-Zer0

Wow. Didn't think anyone was seeing this thread any more.

What drivers and powersupply did you use? Did you mount the PS in the hood? What about fans? Did you need any?

Drivers were Buckpucks. Small and simple for a small array. They were mounted internally, but the power supply is external. I added one 50mmx10mm fan on the left side (the opposite side to where the splash guard slides out).

hey evil,

how is this little reef going? are the corals looking healthy and vibrant?

pics? :lol:

zeadon

Reef is doing well. I really haven't added much to it, but it's still growing, and pretty healthy.

Hey, this thread is awesome and i'm trying to do something similar with my Current USA 2x18w T5 Fixture. I'm just having a little trouble finding what i need to get it done. Would it be asking too much of you to help me out just a little on what i would need to accomplish this? Or is your time worth $$? I want to keep my T5 bulbs in there, but i want to add on 3-4 of these awesome LED's. Think it's possible?

Anyways, let me know if you could just point me in the right direction. You don't even know how much i would appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

-Zer0

Adding high power LEDs to the existing PCs is tough. If you are just looking for a little additional color/PAR, or looking to add shimmer, then adding an Ecoxotic Stunner strip would be a better alternative.

Oh really? That is really what i'm looking for. Just a little extra pop. What is that Exotic Stunner strip? Could you link me to it? I really wana check it out. :)

Nvmnd.. i found it. I'm really just looking to make the coral colors really pop, i dont care about the shimmer effect THAT much, so should i get the 403nm UV strip? I thought UV is bad for coral health?

So that would be the 453nm actinic strip then? Not the UV?

Nvmnd.. stupid question. Thanks for the advice evil! I will be purchasing this LED strip to add on to my T5 fixture.

• 6 months later...

Screws? I ended up using standoffs that fastened the heatsinks to a plate that in turn fastened to the stock brackets that hold everything together.

• 2 months later...

evilc66, I really want to build this retro DIY LED setup. Do you think there is any new equipment/improvements that can be added to this setup? Is the external power source recommended or can I get an internal power source?

I think you will have a hard time finding components small enough to cram inside the fixture. The power supply will be the hard part.

Archived