ReefCleaners.org

RO Problems

UWW

ok well I'm bringing this up because I just got my TDS meter and tested my water. Bad news, the TDS is super high, I mean 380 ppm high coming out of the undersink RO filter that the filters were just changed a couple weeks ago. Now that I think of it, it seems that the water is able to go around the filters. The water coming out of the sink seems to be only slightly higher ppm too.

Right now I only know of two filters, I have an OMIFilter U500 which appears to be 2 stage, it was here when we moved in this summer, I am on city water from the city not well water. hopefully I can still use this filter and just optimize it. The TDS meter I am using is from air,water,ice, and is factory calibrated.

These are the two filters used.

http://www.omniwaterfilters.org/RCundersink_gac1ds.htm

http://www.omniwaterfilters.org/RCundersink_cb36.htm

I think it might be the way the unit is designed, it doesn't seem like the water it forced to go through the filters. Idk though. What can I do to use this system?

I'd say there has to be something wrong with the install. I would re-read the install guide and make sure you have everything hooked up correctly. Did you somehow damage the RO membrane when you installed it? Are you checking the waste water not the product water? Are all the tubes connected correctly?

Can you provide pictures?

I figured it out, it's not an RO system, just a water filtration. Is that ppm normal though for city water?

most major cities website will have a link to the city's water quality report. you should check if it is within the range given in that report.

What you have is strictly a drinking water taste and odor system, not an RO. It will have absolutely zero to maybe just a very slight effect on TDS, its there to remove TSS or suspended solids (large sediment anbd particles in the multiple micron range) and chlorine, not TDS or dissolved solids (down at the atom level).

The national average TDS is rising and is somewhere in the 250 range. As we recharge groundwater supplies with treated waste and capture runoff it keeps going up.

Archived