inTank Media Baskets

10 G Lighting

hillbilly

I have a 10 gallon tank that I am setting up again. Previously I used the Eclipse 1 TL (twin light) and had good results (  http://www.geocities.com/k5ool/ ). Now I'm thinking of building my own hood with double the lights. My question is will 60 watts be too much for the 10 gallon?  (The tank on the site was up for about a year before I had to tear it down.)

• 1 month later...

I have 72w (2x36w ahsupply)  on mine. Everything grows and grows and grows.......

Everything I keep seems to do well, as long as I keep the low lights lower and high lights towads the top.

i have two ten gallons that i use one marineglo and a triton light and i have mushrooms,polpys,coral,star polpys,growing like flies for the past four years.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I have a 10 gallon flat back hex with a single 96 watt SmartLamp retrofit in the hood.  Too early to tell much other than the algae love it :-)  On a more serious note, my corraline and photosynthetic gorgonian seem happy with the light too...

***dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How high is your light above your tank?  I had a 175w blueline over my 10g and switched to 2x36w pc's when I saw how many people have beautiful tanks running flourescent lights.  I had my halide about 10" above but things didn't like it.  I went to 24" and things were better but it lit up my whole house!  I am much happier with my pc's and will get vho's when I get a larger tank.  URI bulbs are awesome!

-Tom

I also use 2x36 (72 total) watt PC.  I use one 10,000K and one Actinic and just love the color.

My light really mixes well the way I made my hood.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know where i can get lights for a 10 gal for a fairly decent price. ahsupply.com is kinda expensive for me. thinking of maybe spending less than $50

Archived