SaltCritters.com

Water bucket

darkdrako

Here is the dilemma:

I homebrew beer and have a decent amount of equipment including 3 6gal foodgrade buckets and a 3gal glass carboy. I am preparing to start my nanoreef experience (12gal nano) and am making a list of items needed. My tank will be filled with home mixed SW with RO water from the lfs. So my question is, can I use my buckets (constantly cleaned with foodgrade cleaners) strictly to transport and possibly store my RO water? Or is it better to add to my overflowing closet of brewing and just buy new buckets? Btw, these buckets will not be used to mix the SW itself.

Welcome bro!

I am a Homebrewer as well... Seriously, just get some buckets "for tank use only". I know it's more clutter, but, over time it will be much less of a pain! Plus, you won't be wasting your sanitizer, which adds up over time!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Jack....

David....ever time I see your avatar it makes me laugh. Where did you get it?

No, Jack...

DarkD...the sanitizers used in homebrewing have a ton of iodine in them and usually are left to dry before use. The primary one that you used was most likely Iodofor which is a great sanitizer but leaves a residue that will not harm your beer (it already killed all foreign bacteria) but should be rinsed well before saltwater aquarium use. I use mine all the time with no adverse effects. My 6.5 gallon has been great for mixing my salt water.

Hi, Jack....

David....ever time I see your avatar it makes me laugh. Where did you get it?

No, Jack...

DarkD...the sanitizers used in homebrewing have a ton of iodine in them and usually are left to dry before use. The primary one that you used was most likely Iodofor which is a great sanitizer but leaves a residue that will not harm your beer (it already killed all foreign bacteria) but should be rinsed well before saltwater aquarium use. I use mine all the time with no adverse effects. My 6.5 gallon has been great for mixing my salt water.

Thanks... I can't remember where I found it?

Archived