Top Shelf Aquatics

Question about nitrates

rtb

Why is having nitrates at 10 or so such a problem? Seems everytime someone posts parameters they have zero nitrates. I have never had zero nitrates (usually 10).

Curious what the experienced reefers think. Thanks.

How long have you had your nitrate test kit? I learned the hard way that they go bad, and then read higher than they actually are. Try a new test kit, or have a LFS double check if you've always had 10.

Basic rule we see on here...

Any Nitrates = BAD

Zero Nitrates = GOOD

:D

It also depends on what kind of tank you have. While lower nitrates are better, a fish-only tank with some hardy fish can probably tolerate nitrate levels of 10. At the other end of the spectrum, if you're venturing into SPS and clam tanks, like many on this board, nitrates are a bigger concern.

they are lying about their results, they really are around 40ppm

+1 always double check with another test kit.

If you do truely have nitrates, we can pinpoint a "cure"

i don't really know what the nitrate hysteria is all about....my reef guy has reef tanks in his store that run nitrates of 40ppm and up and nothing dies. If anything the corals are growing at a rapid rate. a nitrate level of 10ppm is not going to kill anything although in my opinion is not a very good thing. the only time nitrates are acceptable is when the tank is cycling. remember, nitrates are not a problem as long as you have the means to correct it before it becomes a problem

It depends on the coral. I am helping a customer of mine with his 300 gallon reef. He is having a nitrate problem, his were around 40ppm, all of his acans and other harder to keep corals were just melting away and he had no idea why. This tank is also maintenanced by his LFS who was sending out the worst person to do the work. Now that the nitrates are coming down everything is doing much better.

i don't really know what the nitrate hysteria is all about....my reef guy has reef tanks in his store that run nitrates of 40ppm and up and nothing dies. If anything the corals are growing at a rapid rate. a nitrate level of 10ppm is not going to kill anything although in my opinion is not a very good thing. the only time nitrates are acceptable is when the tank is cycling. remember, nitrates are not a problem as long as you have the means to correct it before it becomes a problem

What type of corals does he have in the tank? I have mostly sps and when my trates get high they turn the ugly brown colors. So for sps to stay colorful you want low trates.

Softies seem to like a bit of trates. I had xenia grow like weeds when I had trates of say 20+, once I pulled the number close to zero they quit multiplying.

So........ depending on what type of corals you plan on keeping dictates how "aware" you should be about your trates.

Archived