SaltCritters.com

Tunze 9002 Calibration

kbruin

Hey all,

I'm having trouble tuning in this skimmer. I'm using it in an RSM with the Stevie cup. Any hints on how to go about it? I know go slow and make changes gradually, but I don't really have a starting point. Should I close the screw totally and start that way? I can get bubbles, but I've had it where the cup will just fill up with water and I've had it where the bubbles wont pass the neck. Just some advice would be nice.

Hey all,

I'm having trouble tuning in this skimmer. I'm using it in an RSM with the Stevie cup. Any hints on how to go about it? I know go slow and make changes gradually, but I don't really have a starting point. Should I close the screw totally and start that way? I can get bubbles, but I've had it where the cup will just fill up with water and I've had it where the bubbles wont pass the neck. Just some advice would be nice.

How long have you been runnign it, it took mine about 2 weeks to break in. I ended up having to close it all the way after that and then slowly come back, and I mean slowly. Over time it will be easier to get it at the right point.

once you find that sweet spot you will be happy. Until then it can be a fight.

Open it all the way, then back it off from there, SLOOOOOWLY until the bubles are half way up the tube. It may take some time as it breaks in it will collect more, which may need the valve open more from the weight of the skimmate.

Or try what Normandy has done, it takes some play, give it some love :lol:

Hey all,

You gotta love those Tunze instructions....very helpful - not.

I had the same issue over the weekend, was starting up the 9002 to run (consistently) for the first time. I dialed it all the way closed (clockwise, I think), and then opened it up a bit at a time (counter-clockwise). Each time I opened it, put the StevieT cup back in place, and watched for a minute or two. I think I cheated the first couple of twists - left the cup off until I saw bubble start to come up the black plastic tube in the skimmer lid.

Once I had bubbles about half way up the StevieT pipe (sorry Stevie - that sounds uncomfortable), I walked away and left it alone.

8 or 9 hours later, the bubbles had come up within 1/2" of the top of the tube. Next day, closer to the top, and there was brown schmutz on the 'bubble breaker' dome. I've left it there (runs approx 10 - 12 hours each day) since the weekend, and there is a very tiny bit of skim in the box.

I suspect I need a tiny counter-clockwise turn to get more skim flowing over, but I'm leaving it for a few more days to see if it self-adjusts.

From the time I turn it on now, it takes about an hour before I see the bubbles near the top of the tube.... so I'm guessing it takes a little bit to build up a head of foam.

Hope this helps...

Archived