inTank Media Baskets

Shrooms instead of macro Algea

apophis924

Is it possible to use mushrooms in a fuge instead of macro algea. getting tired of prunning algea all the time and always removing bits and pieces of it from the main tank. I am using brillo algea and still strands always end up oin the main tank.

Will shrooms also export nitrates and remove organic toxins as well as algea. and will they also remove CO2 just like photosynthetic algea. I want to go with shrooms because they grow fast, the low current and low light of the fuge is perfect for them, and if any of them break off into my main tank the intense lighting of my main tank keeps them limited to the very shaded areas of the tank. PLus a fuge full of shrooms will be much more pleasing to the eye.

Any one have any experience using shrooms in a fuge?

do you have a strainer on the return end of your refuge? if not that would help explain why you end up with pieces of macro back in the main tank.

as far as using mushrooms goes, it might be possible, but i think xenia might be a better choice. if you have a decent nutrient level in the tank it should grow like crazy. the only bad thing about using either mushrooms or xenia is that you might have to upgrade the lighting on your refugium if it isn't enough or of the proper spectrum. i wouldn't bother if you don't want to have to get adequate lighting. i put a stalk of pulsing xenia in my fuge to see if it would do ok but it has only been able to "survive." it hasn't grow or spread at all. the exactly same xenia is in my main tank though and it grows like mad.

The lighting on my fuge is a compact jbj 18 watts. The fuge volume is about 2.5 gallons. I am pretty sure that is enough lighting for shrooms. I tried xenia but the current in the fuge is too low for xenia and it barely lived. I have a wide screen on my output to prevent snails from clogging the tubing. But if i use a screen too small i dont want ot have the algea clog it completely and cause an over flow. I also want o keep it as maintience free as possible and any more screening would be one more thing to clean and monitor. If a shroom escapes into the tasnk from the fuge that is not a problem. The tank is pretty much self sustaining, i can leave it for up to two weeks with only minor ill effetcs. Having alarge screen in the system could clogg up and cause flooding if i am away for days at a time.

Why do you think that growing shrooms in your fuge would clean your tank any better that growing corals in your main tank does? IMHO, I sincerely doubt that they would be able to make any impact on your water chemistry. Besides, it would be a lot tougher to get the shrooms out of the fuge to flush than it is to get the macro out as it grows.

Archived