Pod Your Reef

Lighting an Eclipse system 1

Brentrick

hey i'm looking to set up lighting for my eclipse 1. i know some of you reefers have done this before but refreshen my memory. what size bulbs and fixture will fit in that hood? and where can i obtain a starter kit for it?

Christopher Marks

The 32w smartlamp retro fit kits will fit in those systems, and they even come with instructions on how to install it in one.  It's just a matter of removing most of the old system, mounting the retro kit in and placing the lens back.  You can wire the existing switch into the kit too.

They're in the nano reef store at $45.99, http://www.nanoreefs.com/powercompact.htm if you're interested.

• 2 months later...
printerdown01

Found out that if you have an eclipse 1TL you can put 2x32W SmartLights in there!  I don't know if it will work on an eclipse 1 (they are probably the same size, but seriously don't hold me to that).  The deal is you have to trim the reflectors a little bit! But you can pack 64W of PC.  This is what I'm doing... Another note: I'm doing them one by one.  I've already ordered a 32W PC from the nanoreefs.com store (they had the cheapest prices I could find on SmartLights, it cost me 51.90 with shipping).  This not only lets me save for another light (I'm a college student) but also will give my corals a chance to recuperate from the change.  A PC packs approx 3 times the Lux of its normal florescent counterpart (according to CustomSeaLife).  That means in a single light eclipse system you are essentially adding 6 times the light by the single upgrade!  So giving the corals some time to adjust isn't a bad idea!

Quote: from printerdown01 on 3:11 pm on Feb. 17, 2002[br]Found out that if you have an eclipse 1TL you can put 2x32W SmartLights in there!  I don't know if it will work on an eclipse 1 (they are probably the same size, but seriously don't hold me to that).  The deal is you have to trim the reflectors a little bit! But you can pack 64W of PC.  This is what I'm doing... Another note: I'm doing them one by one.  I've already ordered a 32W PC from the nanoreefs.com store (they had the cheapest prices I could find on SmartLights, it cost me 51.90 with shipping).  This not only lets me save for another light (I'm a college student) but also will give my corals a chance to recuperate from the change.  A PC packs approx 3 times the Lux of its normal florescent counterpart (according to CustomSeaLife).  That means in a single light eclipse system you are essentially adding 6 times the light by the single upgrade!  So giving the corals some time to adjust isn't a bad idea!

the TL and SL do have the same lens covers so there should be ample room for 2x32 in the SL.  Well at least I hope there is.  The only difference is going to be the white piece in the housing.  I'm not sure if this would affect the 2x32 installation though.

printerdown01

What white piece in the housing? Does it like tank the place of the second lamp or something?? I really curious as to what the diff. is so that I can help people in the future... My lights should be here either tomorrow or the next day, YAY!! I'll let you know how it works!!  I have a white plate in the back, it acts as a reflector; is that what you're reffering to? Hopefully this image will load (I haven't had any luck in the past), does it look similar to this?: Picture%2045.jpg

ya, that's what I'm talking about ... the white reflector.  The plastic piece that the bulbs connect to.  CSL said that their 1 X 32 retrofit kit is for the twin lamp.  The only reason why is because 4 screw screw into that plate to hold the CSL reflector in place.

printerdown01

Does anyone out there have the address for the 2x28W retrofit on the Eclipse 1TL?? I can't find it in the posts... Anyway, hopefully some one will post it, 'cause if you look at the retrofit you can get 2x28Ws into the Eclipse 1.  Now here is the trick: the only real measurable difference between the 28Watters and the 32Watters is length... And if you can already get a 32W in legthwise then you can get 2x32W in there! I'm hoping that I can conferm this tonight (if my package arrivies from chris)... Check back later... there might even be pictures on how to do it. I HOPE!! I'll keep you posted on how it works!

sweet ... if you do this it will be great information for me.  I'm sure you will have to drill 8 new holes in the stock white piece and trim or bend the reflectors.  I'm sure with it like this it will fit, but it might be close ...

The 2 x 28W bulb link was useful, but not really cause they used a bunch of different equipment.  Not the CSL retrofit kits.  Once I get my hood on monday, I'm going to try to see if 2 32w's will fit.

printerdown01

My light didn't come today, hopefully it will come in the morning... You will have full details on it as soon as I get it!  **ok didn't come in the morning either :( I ordered them on the 14th LOL. Sometime packages take longer to get to me 'cause I live on campus and our mail system is terrible!

(Edited by printerdown01 at 5:40 am on Feb. 24, 2002)

printerdown01

Alright guys, here is the deal: I can NOT find a way to put 2x32W in this thing... They guy at my LFS said that he had seen it done and that 28W bulbs were the same with as 32W bulbs (which they are very close!). However, the problem isn't with the width of the bulbs, it is with the width of the end caps.  If anyone out there actually has 2x32W let me know how you did it!! It came very close, but close doesn't exactly count here!! –Sorry to disappoint you all!

you know what you might have to do ....

place the end caps on opposite ends and then it may fit.  you'll have to cut the reflective shield off one or both.  Make the bulbs touch as close as possible and it may work.  I don't think that writeup was meant for CSL applications.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived