Innovative Marine Aquariums

Odyssea HOB refugium/skimmer

Grendel0501

Link

Picture

The price is too good to be true , compared to a aquafuge hob refugium/skimmer. Which it looks like a clone of.

I've searched for some kind of review or something about it. I did find one , but can't find it again for some reason. In the topic one person said it was comparable to the tunze 9002.

Anyone tried this HOB refugium/skimmer combo?

I don't have the money for the aquafuge , hell I could probably make my own refugium and add a skimmer for less than half Aquafuge.

one of my LFS sells a lot of Odyssea products.

I asked about those and he said they were the older models.

I am tempted to try them out since it is pretty much a CPR knock-off.

But because they are the older model, that LFS doesnt carry them.

and frankly, I would rather deal with the LFS then aquatraders so havent ordered one even tho the final price will be the same.

CS at aquatraders is pretty much non-existant. Few have been lucky enough and had issues resolved.

If you think of them as throw-aways, then yea, a good deal.

if your expecting a Rolls Royce for the price of a Yugo, you wont be happy.

So far I'm very happy with the Odyssea products that I have (pumps, 5g full tank setup, and PS75 skimmer).

I bought these thinking that if something broke, it would probably be cheaper, and much less hassle, to buy a new item to replace.

they function pretty much the same, but they are made from cheaper materials, so they break easily. if you're careful, it shouldn't be a problem.

I had my PS75 off the tank while I rigged up a sort of surface skimmer.

Today I put it all together again. BUT, I had a leak where the intake went into the skimmer body.

OK, so I figured I didnt have the seal tight enough.

Well, you know what happens when you over-tighten a plastic fitting, water everywhere until I could yank the plug out and wrestle the skimmer off the tank. Well, not everywhere actually but it was a mess.

So I took my broken part to my LFS and got a replacement, free.

Thumbs up to LFS that sell cheap made in china reef stuff :)

I have 2 old 50g power filters , that I could use as fuges , but I like the idea of a bigger one , can you really get that much usage out of a tiny filter/fuge mod?

I really don't knwo if I even need a skimmer or fuge yet.

I am still in the setting up phase of my first tank. It will be a 29g and I am getting my lighting from Aquatraders , so I figured why not go ahead and pick up the skimmer/refuge combo and acouple powerheads.

If I do get the fuge , I want to use it to help control water conditions , and grow/breed food for my regular tank. It would run off the lighting it gets from the main tank lighting , I don't have room to give it it's own lighting.

If I get the refugium , what all can I put in it?

Like can I have , some chaeto or some shaving brush plants to handle excess phosphate and nitrates. Then some kelp , brine shrimp , or copepods to feed the main tank? Maybe some bioballs in the compartment after the skimmer?

• 2 weeks later...

If I may chime in...and if it's not too late for input...

I live close to Aquatraders' actual establishment. He has a 40-something gal reef tank with the 14" fuge attached on the back. He cultivates live sand and caulerpa in it, along with some residential snails to keep things tidy. You can throw in small sized live rock, chaeto or even some mangove stalks, but please note the fuge holds about a gal to a gal and half of water. If all goes well though, you'll have some nice pods growing in there that'll naturally get sucked out and into the main tank for feeding.

One thing to mention: The skimmer is like my ex - looks pretty, but does nothing. I mean, sure you'll get some skimmate, but it's not as efficient as a remora or bak-pak.

Hope this helps.

One thing to mention: The skimmer is like my ex - looks pretty, but does nothing. I mean, sure you'll get some skimmate, but it's not as efficient as a remora or bak-pak.

Thats awesome :lol:

I have 2 old 50g power filters , that I could use as fuges , but I like the idea of a bigger one , can you really get that much usage out of a tiny filter/fuge mod?

I really don't knwo if I even need a skimmer or fuge yet.

I am still in the setting up phase of my first tank. It will be a 29g and I am getting my lighting from Aquatraders , so I figured why not go ahead and pick up the skimmer/refuge combo and acouple powerheads.

If I do get the fuge , I want to use it to help control water conditions , and grow/breed food for my regular tank. It would run off the lighting it gets from the main tank lighting , I don't have room to give it it's own lighting.

If I get the refugium , what all can I put in it?

Like can I have , some chaeto or some shaving brush plants to handle excess phosphate and nitrates. Then some kelp , brine shrimp , or copepods to feed the main tank? Maybe some bioballs in the compartment after the skimmer?

Let me know how sturdy the thing is. I have a cpr bak bak alread skimming, but as a straight fuge, it would hold more water and be cheaper than the biggest AC power filter mod. I worry about the fuge's structural integrity. That's REAL cheap, so I wonder what they're using as far as materials go. I don't need to have my fuge springing a leak. I'd probably take the entire skimmer chamber and fill it with LR rubble.

Also, NO on the bio balls. Nitrate factory. Live rock rubble FTW.

I have one of these Odyssea HOB/Skimmers. I got it off ebay for like $75 or so. I have been using it since last july and haven't had any problems with it. I did have to make a modification to the pump that came with it so that it would function as a venturi pump, but that was as simple as drilling a small hole near the pump inlet so that it could draw in air from a piece of tubing. Also, keep in mind you will probably still need to spend some additional money on a light for it. I got one of those clip on lights for the pictotope and it works great, so overall, I say go for it. B)

I have one of these Odyssea HOB/Skimmers. I got it off ebay for like $75 or so. I have been using it since last july and haven't had any problems with it. I did have to make a modification to the pump that came with it so that it would function as a venturi pump, but that was as simple as drilling a small hole near the pump inlet so that it could draw in air from a piece of tubing. Also, keep in mind you will probably still need to spend some additional money on a light for it. I got one of those clip on lights for the pictotope and it works great, so overall, I say go for it. B)

Is it sturdy? I mean, is the plastic thick and do the joints and seams seem tight?

clownfish1124

chiming in. My display looks like a dump so I need to lower nitrates and phosphates. It is doing this, or diying with some acrylic I have laying around.

Here's a question. I have a CPR Bak-Pak. If I were to use the pump from that and the collection cup from that (assuming the collection cup is the same size which is a big assumption), what would stop it from working as well as the bak pak at that point? Looking at it, I can't see why it would react any different.

Let me know how sturdy the thing is. I have a cpr bak bak alread skimming, but as a straight fuge, it would hold more water and be cheaper than the biggest AC power filter mod. I worry about the fuge's structural integrity. That's REAL cheap, so I wonder what they're using as far as materials go. I don't need to have my fuge springing a leak. I'd probably take the entire skimmer chamber and fill it with LR rubble.

Also, NO on the bio balls. Nitrate factory. Live rock rubble FTW.

Instead of the HOB , I think I am going to get the ps-75 , and later add a refugium , below the main tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered one this week, and it came in the mail within 2 days!!!

I haven't got it set up to a tank yet, but let me tell you this... this thing isn't cheap at all. The plastic is thick..and this thing is heavy. As for the screwing the pipes together, just don't over tight it that it breaks (it even says on the instructions DON'T OVER TIGHT)....

I bought a powerhead and sponge kit from the site.... all for less than 80 dollars shipped.....

Yes people modify the AC70, but this HOB refugium is huge!!! and seems to have more room for growth etc.... also yes it comes with a protein skimmer, how well it skims I don't know..but all it matters is..if it doesn't skim at all...just take out the cup and add more cheato or whatever filter material !!!

Basically the price for the AC70 and the HOB refugium is the same (45.99 for the AC70 vs. 49.99 for the HOB refugium) .... so you are paying for extra 13 dollars for the powerhead and sponge kit.

As the other forum member said, just be careful and nothing should break for no reason.... this thing is built like a rock...but I can't quote on the screw pipes yet.... let you all know later :P

Keep us updated as to the quality of the skimmer. I'm not expecting much.

I am still debating on wether to get a PS-75 from Odyssea , or save up another $50 or so and atleast spend $100 on a skimmer.

I am still debating on wether to get a PS-75 from Odyssea , or save up another $50 or so and atleast spend $100 on a skimmer.

I am running a PS75 on my 20H

I did the airline muffler mod (dead quiet now)

And I did the meshmod.

The only downside that I see from this skimmer is, it is cheap extruded acrylic so if you slam it around it will break. But more than that it seems to take a bit longer to break in and get dialed but once it does, works like a champ. It took me 3 weeks to break/dial in.

Heres a pic of the skimmer body, no meshmod, hanging on front of tank during the break in phase:

redDSCN1250.jpg

Heres a pic of what I pull out, a bit wet but consistant:

redDSCN1309.jpg

Bottom line, it is a cheap skimmer. it works well for me.

Sorry I don't plan on using the skimmer part, I doubt it will do much ... so opt to get a used Prizm instead. I am running it on a 20 gallon tank, so I think the Prizm will do its job on a small tank like that.

Honestly the skimmer doesn't look like anything, but 50 buxs for a refugium box... that is a steal!! compared to the CPR ones..that cost 200 buxs for one.... so just spend 50 buxs on the box, and another 100 buxs on a decent skimmer and you got a mean tank!!! :lol:

Instead of the PS-75 , I decided to go used.

I've got a local guy who is selling a modded Coralife Super Skimmer 220g , with lots of mods , for $50.

That's what I intend to get , waiting on him to finish changing out the mesh on the mesh mod.

He says it is a great skimmer , just not 220g great. Should be a good skimmer for me to get started with.

Archived