Innovative Marine Aquariums

New to the forum and want to start a nano

jiminy_crime

I have a 10 gal. freshwater tank that I would like to convert to a nano reef tank. I have been taking care of saltwater fish in 55 gal. now for about 2 months. I could no longer stand to have freshwater now that I have gone saltwater.

Does anyone have pics and specs of a nice nano reef? I am curious as to how similar taking care of a nano is to a bigger tank?

I know that there are more frequent water changes but time and effort are on my side!:P

Jiminy_crime,

There are a ton of people on here who use 10 gallon tanks as nano's. Brooklynn Johnny's (a past tank of the month) is a 10 and it is absolutely amazing.

Here is a link.. not sure if this is the most current, but it's a good example of an exceptional tank:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=14237

I am pretty sure he lists some specs in there, if not, you can do a search on his name and I am sure you will pull up hundreds of threads. (His tank really is outstanding looking).

If you 10 was previously used as a freshwater tank, PLEASE make sure you didn't use any copper based medications or snail killers (most snail killing formulas are copper based as well).

My advice to you (as you are relatively new to SW but are willing to look for (and hopefully accept) advice), is to read up as much as you can on Nano-reefs before you commit any money to it.

It's all to often that I see posts where people are un-happy with the lighting they choose or find that becuase they rushed it, they are having to rip down thier tanks do to algae blooms, or worse yet, a tank crash.

It's also nice to research everything you can on live-stock / tank additions BEFORE you get them. You might go out and buy a 1.5" powder blue tang, just to come on here and find out they grow to be 9" and need at least a 100 gallon tank to swim in.

Good luck with your new hobby!! It's a blast!

~V

Archived