inTank Media Baskets

Kalk drip

FLIPbmw

Aquarium Size

40 Gallons + 40 Gallon sump. T5 HO setup.

Estimated total water volume in use 65 Gallons

pH 8.0 Day

Cal 330-350

Mixture 7teaspoons/5 gallons. 1.4tsp/Gallon

Dosing pump rate. 65ml per minute, to ~35ml per minute when almost empty

Resevoir is meant for ATO, but I decided to add some kalk.

I have 8 settings on my timer, so I have it run every 3 hour intervals.

12am - 8min

3am - 9min

6am - 9min

9am - 9min Actinics open

12pm - 4min Sunlight opens

3pm - 4min

6pm - 4min Sunlight closes

9pm - 4min Actinics close

repeat

Total minutes on: 51

I calculate that given a dump of 1gallon kalk into my aquarium, my ph should raise from 8.0 to 8.09,

but spread over the period, it should be safe.

Any opinions.

that seems to be a way low calculation.

My kalk is usually pH around 10-11. Check what the pH of the kalk is before you dose that much. Also check your Magnesium. Kalk eats magnesium and often low pH is because of low Magnesium. Also check dKH and to get those up, use "RANDYS 2-PART, or 2 Part Bionic" or something of the sort. Kalk will help maintain your dKH, and calcium. But if your low, you need to add.

that seems to be a way low calculation.

My kalk is usually pH around 10-11. Check what the pH of the kalk is before you dose that much. Also check your Magnesium. Kalk eats magnesium and often low pH is because of low Magnesium. Also check dKH and to get those up, use "RANDYS 2-PART, or 2 Part Bionic" or something of the sort. Kalk will help maintain your dKH, and calcium. But if your low, you need to add.

WTF?

1) Kalk does NOT consume Mg.

2) Low Ph has NOTHING to do with Mg

3) Kalk has a ph of 12 unless it's been degraded by CO2.

I would check your Alk. Alk is directly related to Ph. If you alk is within range and your Ph is still low then CO2 build up is usually the culprit. You can add Kalk to keep the Ph up, but normally it's not needed unless you are using a Ca reactor.

Kalk is normally just for maintaining Ca and Alk, but before you start dosing it you should check that your Ca and Alk levels are where you want them. I'd also be curious what salt mix you are using and how you are measuring SG. What test kits are you using?

• 2 weeks later...

I went along with the dosing.

My 5gal water jug cracked that morning. I think the mixture of kalk to the water caused problems with the plastic because my 2 other jugs also cracked when I mixed kalk in them.

I reduced my concentration to 3tsp/5gal and started to dose.

Calcium lvl is now at ~380-400

Alk is at 9-10

I can clearly tell improved signs of growth in my monticaps.

Problem with this method of dosing tho, my tubing gets filled with white residue from the kalk bucket and clogs. I should fix this soon tho.

Water jug cracking because of kalk? Strange. I remember reading article by Randy Holmes: “The only inherent difference between calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide is that adding a molecule of water to quicklime produces lime, and that a great quantity of heat can be generated when that happens.” What kind of kalk are you mixing? I dont know if this increased temperature during your mixing of kalk could be the reason for the jug cracking. In the past I had been using plastic container from old humidifier, PhosBan Reactor and also HomeDepot 5 gallons bucket without problem.

My tubing (1/4” ID) also have white residue from the kalk but after a year it haven’t clog yet.

After few weeks check your Mg. regularly because while kalk is added (alk & calcium) your Mg addition by WC salt might not be sufficient.

What kind of ATO pump are you using? Watch your pH while kalk is added and avoid big pH spikes.

Your Mg shouldn't dip too low if you're performing weekly water changes like you should be. :) Other than that, your setup seems fine - just make sure your calcium:alkalinity ratios don't get out of whack after several days of dosing...ie. make sure the calcium isn't being added faster/slower than the corals are using it.

I dosed Kalk for years with no problems, and saw incredible growth in my maxima clams. I'm a big fan, and it's the only calcium supplement I'll use (without a Ca reactor, that is).

Your Mg shouldn't dip too low if you're performing weekly water changes like you should be. :)

Mike, which salt are you using? TM & TM-pro can’t keep up Mg with kalk on my tank; perhaps I could switch the salt and remove Mg dripper. Thanks

Archived