Cultivated Reef

Do I need a skimmer?

fawkes027

Water changes will be enough, but 10% weekly water changes might not be. Depending on your bio-load and feeding requirements, you might need to change up to 50% of your water every week. If that’s the case, I would consider a skimmer.

However, since skimmers remove necessary elements, you should continue 10% weekly water changes to help replenish these elements. Dosing with something like B-Ionic would also be recommended.

There are lots of threads on this subject if you do a search.

He did say UP to a %50 percent change. In most cases that isn't the deal.....usually 20-25 percent is what I'd call normal. Read the threads he posted...there is tone of info dealing w/ both sides of the issue.

Cameron

Cameron is right; most people can get by with 10-25% weekly water changes. If there comes a time when that doesn’t work for you anymore, don’t rule out adding a skimmer; however, keep in mind that water changes are safer.

This article talks about natural filtration. I agree with it except as you keep more corals, you will need to dose calcium (I happen to use B-Ionic).

Archived