Cultivated Reef

29 AGA

805fish

So im getting a 20'' MH Sunpod from Smurf :D. Inno it wont be long enough for the 29 tough. What do you all recomend how high i would be able to hang it but to still have good light hitting it so i can keep later on the road some sps and lps. Would like to have the lps lower to the substrate tough. And maybe if its a lil darker on the sides i can just keep some softies or zoas. Suggestions?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So just got my new light Fixture thanks to ZeRo 91. Awsome light. And wanna thank him for bringing it too. Light is a 36'' MH DE 150w Fixture with 2 14k Coralife Bulbs. Recently added a frag of xenia and came with 4 little green zoas. Awesome color. Here are some pics. Looks much brighter in person.

Before

FullFTSnew.jpg

After with new MH

100_0602.jpg

Before

NewFTS.jpg

After

100_0603.jpg

Coralife 36'' MH DE 150W

100_0604.jpg

Before

Topdown29.jpg

After

100_0605.jpg

New frag

100_0606.jpg

Enjoy. What do you all think? Have lights on timers with dusk and dawn.

Dusk: 12:00-1:00

Both on from 1:00-8:00

Dawn: 8:00-9:00

Looking good. You have a very nice set up going and things are moving along. Remember to just go slow and easy.

If you get a lot of power outages it would be best to keep an UPS unit that can handle powerheads for a few hours or buy some of those battery operated air pumps. It would suck to loose any corals while your power is out.

Adolfo

Looking good. You have a very nice set up going and things are moving along. Remember to just go slow and easy.

If you get a lot of power outages it would be best to keep an UPS unit that can handle powerheads for a few hours or buy some of those battery operated air pumps. It would suck to loose any corals while your power is out.

Adolfo

Yes, this is the only thing i wanted to get over with so wouldn't have to bother with later on. As for everything ima just let it sit and see how much growth i get. Should i replace the bulbs already? Was told they will last me only a bit longer and want a more blue to it. Was thinking of 2 14k pheonix.

And not so much it was just that one time out of no where.

So my lights been running and am having heat issues. It went from 79 degrees to 87 in about 2 hours or so. Is there any way i can cool it down or keep it atleast at 81 deegrees? HELP

Looking good so far!

Thank you. Im proud of all so far and my light but it seems its heating up my water up to much. Will this be regulated after or will it always?

So i went to this fish store i had not been to in a couple and years and WOW it has changed. Right when you enter there whole mid section of the store is like SW dream land come true. Any kind of coral you might be looking for they will have in stock. And there huge SPS display tank is amazing. They have from Softies and any SPS OR LPS that you might want and at good prices. My eye was attached to a plate tough. Beautiful Bright pink with purple and a bit of red for $30 bucks. I done my research on them and seems i can keep it healthy in my tank. But do you think since my tank is only 1 month old, will it be able to handle it? Maybe a Red Open Brain. Done my research on both but now i want suggestions from you guys. What do you all think. Plate or Brain or none at all?

Awesome man. It's looking great.

What is the LFS you are talking about? It's local to you?

Thanks bro. Well the LFS is Fish and other animals supplys and is called "fins and critters". But there SW fish section is amazing. Right when you walk in the 1st thing you notice is a really bright blue shine and all the fish tanks and there 3 Main Display tanks with the Main one being an SPS tank. Its amazing. And on each wall there are fish selections of all types. And in the middle are all there frags of anything you want. From all the color zoas and mushrooms to SPS that will make you drool. Ill have to take pics next time i go. I just got a plate and a torch today. Will post pics.

here is a pic of the plate i had my eyes on and decided to get today. Color is so much better in person. And sorry for the crappy phone pic. Better pics tomorrow of everything else

1129081541.jpg

Whats going on your tank?

Got my fish today :D. Got 2 firefish but wanted the purple ones but were more expensive. Oh well i love these two guys and for a good price. Will it be a problem having two and should of just got 1 instead? Plate is doing awesome and eating but the hump back is what im worried with, Is there something bad with it?. Tested my Water today for Calcium and readings show 500. Is that to high? Here are pics. Coraline starting to show in front glass :)

Plate Day 1

100_0635.jpg

Day 2

100_0655.jpg

Is it normal to be humped up like that?

100_0656.jpg

SPS was a freebie. ID anyone?

100_0672.jpg

100_0638.jpg

Hammer day 1

100_0643.jpg

Day 2

100_0657.jpg

And the Firefish

100_0653.jpg

100_0651.jpg

100_0667.jpg

And last but not least YCG

100_0652.jpg

FTS

100_0671.jpg

Wow just like the FW bug now i have the SW bug. My freshwater started with a 10 then 29 aga then 55 and currently my 110 high. As for SW it all started with 16 gallon then my current 29 aga and now im close to getting a 50 tall complete set up for $200 bucks or less since he needs to sell it ASAP and lives like 5 min away ha. This is one addiction i will love :lol:. What do you guys think of this tank? Link I will transfer my current light on to it. If im correct the dimensions of a 50 tall are 36''x19''x19'' right? Its perfect for aquascaping. As for the fish i would probably trade them in for store credit and same with the anemone.

Just wanted to update on my little reef set up. Curretnly installed a computer fan to lower down the heat from the two MH lights and dang it works great. heat would rise up to around 81 and now it stays at 78. Perfect :). Also, starting to see lots of Coraline growth and front side and back side of glass. Love it, so purple, oh and inside the skimmer too ha. As for my xenia frag i could already see 4 more little ones growing out of it, it grows crazy. But yea enough talk here are some random pics ha.

As i walk in to my room

100_0673.jpg

Coraline growth

100_0684.jpg

Water movement, and you can see my computer fan

100_0680.jpg

Whats the green stuff? its been growing.

100_0688.jpg

Freebie SPS frag. ID anyone? Toled it was a neon green deerhorn

100_0687.jpg

YCG swims out more with the fire fish

100_0698.jpg

My 110 African FW tank :happy:

100_0700.jpg

So...when is the 110 going reef :bling:

Haha idk dud. I been so tempted belive me but i dont have the money to set it up properly. Plus i would make it a FOWLR first and when i buy a good light then into a reef. But thats way way down the line

That green deer horn is called hydrophoras. I got a couple in my tank. They take anything, HIGHLY aggressive. Even the coral touching another one can do severe damage.

Nice, I started with a 10gallon aga, went to my 29gallon aga, and just recently I bought a 72 gallon bow front. I plan on migrating my 29 gallon over once I can afford a light...

Nice, I started with a 10gallon aga, went to my 29gallon aga, and just recently I bought a 72 gallon bow front. I plan on migrating my 29 gallon over once I can afford a light...

Nice. I have seen you thread with your luck on the 72 Bow. Sucks it had to break but look now you have a new one and its looking sweet.

That green deer horn is called hydrophoras. I got a couple in my tank. They take anything, HIGHLY aggressive. Even the coral touching another one can do severe damage.

Thanks Smurf. Couldn't find anything online about them. I was told they were really aggressive and will kill many things that touch it. But will keep it to see how it looks when big. Might just keep him up high in a corner....Hows your new light?

• 1 month later...

Just a little update/bump. Havent added anything yet just watching things grow. The xenia has split. And everything else is doing really good too. Here are pics

100_0762.jpg

100_0756.jpg

100_0751.jpg

My new project

100_0765.jpg

Oh you've got the bug for sure lol. I'm loving your 29 though ( okay...I a little biased towards 29's ;) ) I vote for you keeping the 29 AND setting up the larger one lol.

Keep up the great job your doing :D

Oh you've got the bug for sure lol. I'm loving your 29 though ( okay...I a little biased towards 29's ;) ) I vote for you keeping the 29 AND setting up the larger one lol.

Keep up the great job your doing :D

I do love it as well. Its gotten so much Coraline on the sides and back glass. Just loving how its going on. As for keeping the 29 and setting up the larger one is what im thinking. But later trough time ill probably just transfer the 29 to it. But well see what happens :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived