Top Shelf Aquatics

Dosing Chemicals

East1

ive got a 10G ive been looking to use to create an SPS tank, based on the indo pacific patch reefs

anyway, ive been reading, and an algae turf scrubber seems to be the thing i want to remove the nutrients in the water without depleting plankton(i tried a skimmer on my 20G and it caused my pod population to die, as well as all my mini feather dusters)

as this is not a filtration thread, ill cut to the chase

the ATS would really cut down the number of water changes in the tank and i like that, im not very dilligent with them

but what would i need to dose? so fare ive come up with

calcium

magnesium

iodene

and trace elements

any good kits for this(test wise as well as the actual suppliments?)

thanks

Your salt will handle alot of it, just test your levels and dose accordingly

yea, i saw a thread that showed the relevant levels,

but i mean, if using an effective nutrient export method the only reason to change water would be putting back trace elements and chemicals, and if thers no real need to change water why do it? as i havent changed water in ages now but my nitrites are around 0-5, the only thing different i have noticed was that my halmedia has stopped growing now..im not sure if its due to calcium being leached out or something else.

anyway thats another argument, i ment what is a good brand to be looking for? im not sure whats avaliable here but i should be able to get Kent and API stuff, if thats any good?

ive really been looking for people with experience keeping SPS as i know that u need to check levels more than octocorals, but im looking for the best rated products out..

Water changes replenish many trace elements that may be depleted by livestock and it's a lot cheaper to change the water then to buy chemicals. Water changes also help stabilize PH / Alkalinity. It also helps control nitrates and phosphates.

Why not do what you know works and do regular maintenance on the tank? Pouring crap in the water isn't going fix everything. The higher nitrates are just going to stress your livestock and eventually probably lead to your tanks doom.

Water changes replenish many trace elements that may be depleted by livestock and it's a lot cheaper to change the water then to buy chemicals. Water changes also help stabilize PH / Alkalinity. It also helps control nitrates and phosphates.

Why not do what you know works and do regular maintenance on the tank? Pouring crap in the water isn't going fix everything. The higher nitrates are just going to stress your livestock and eventually probably lead to your tanks doom.

yea thats true aint it

i think ill get some calc. mag. and iodene

and the test kits, but ill keep up wit at least bi weekly water changes.

the nitrates arent a problem with a turf scrubber, it clears them to nothing, mines a bit too small but its got my nitrates at 5ppm

Archived