Coral Vue Hydros

What to add next?

bneyman

I've got a 2 1/2 month old Eclipse 12 w/CC substrate, stock lighting, ~12 - 15 lbs LR, Aquaglobe 200 running wide open, and am using the stock filter w/Biowheel removed. Livestock includes 1 skunk cleaner, 1 tomato clown, 1 hawk, ~5 hermits (I can never see them all at one time to count exact number), and a lettuch nudi. I'm battling with the red slime prob, at this point, but want to start upgrading, but can't afford to do it all at once. What should I add 1st? Remove CC and go with LS, upgrade lighting to either 2x32W retrofit or 96W quad, or getting rid of the stock filter and go with AQ? (if AQ, what size, and should I use it as a fuge, or just with mechanical and chemical media?)

bneyman,

If you are battling a little algae problem (other then just the cyno) try getting some snails (if you have any - they weren't listed). I know my local fish store has a 20 for $20 deal, hard to beat and the benefits that they add are totally worth it.

I would also consider adding (or adjusting) a power head. You can usually reduce cyno algae by making sure you don't have "dead" spots (low to no-flow areas). (About $15-20 if you want to add an additional one)

I would also start scheduling weekly water changes (if you are not already). I know this is an added expense that is annoying (if you don't have an RO/DI filter at your house) but BELIEVE me, you don't want to fall behind.

How "big" is the crushed ocral in your crushed coral bed? If it's relatively small, you might consider keeping it. You added live rock, so you can almost bet that the CC is now partially "live" (all sorts of little guys living in it). Additionally CC is very convenient if you want to add lots of loose frags IMHO. :) n (You don't have to worry about gluing 'shrooms that will probably just slime up and blow away anyway... a week in the bottem of your tank and they will attach to some CC and then you can glue the coral to your favorite rock).

If you want to really get into the corals, then I would then (after all the above) switch out the lights. You'll probably be happy with the 2x32 - but if it isn't a big jump in price I would consider the 96w quad. Lots of people on here have them ... and love them. Basiclly it just depends on what your preference is...

How much light is on there now?

~V

The only algae problem I'm having now is with the cyno, but am trying to remedy that by starting to do my water changes with RO/DI water from the pet store (hopefully they sell it), as I was doing weekly changes with tap water prior to finding out the cyno prob is caused by the tap water. I also added 1 aquaglobe micro 200 this week, hopefully that will help too. My CC is probably ~3mm roughly, and about 1 1/2 inches deep, and I just don't like the looks of it, I'm thinking the LS switch would be much more beneficial in the long run. The lighting right now is what came stock with the eclipse aquarium, I think 13W if I'm not mistaken. I had a turbo snail for a month or so until it died, it seemed pretty lazy anyways, always staying stuck on the glass in one place for days until it dropped off one day and died. :(

Archived