Innovative Marine Aquariums

Small skimmer for shallow tank

tank0211

I've been searching around for a skimmer I can put behind the false wall of a tank that's only 7.25" tall. The only one I've seen, that would come close, is the tunze nano doc, but it says it needs a minimum of 7" immersion.

I'm wanting to keep the water level right at the top of the tank, as it's a rimless ADA, but I'm not sure the water level behind the false wall will remain high enough, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'm also not sure IF I'll keep the water level right to the top. I don't want carpet surfers or snails going AWOL, but I'd really, really like to, so if there's any suggestions for that, aside from a top, shoot!

Could there be a DIY skimmer I could make that would fit my requirements?

fingerscrossed

Thanks,

~B

Please I don't want the current usa nano skimmer....reviews say its awful.

pond netting held by window screen frame to keep surfers inside.

Water changes instead of skimmer

:blink: Thanks whacked already thought of that, but um.....not gonna put that on top of an ADA tank as it defeats the whole purpose, so i'll just have to choose fish carefully and hope the snails don't crawl over.

I plan on doing weekly water changes, but I'd like a skimmer also just cuz... ;)

Are you sure you want a skimmer in there? The cup and half the body would be sticking out of the water, not very appealing to me. If I remember from your thread, it's only 7 gallons or so... no need for a skimmer. A good old trick is just turn off all the pumps and float a paper towel on the surface for about a minute, whips up all the surface scum.

I've been searching around for a skimmer I can put behind the false wall of a tank that's only 7.25" tall. The only one I've seen, that would come close, is the tunze nano doc, but it says it needs a minimum of 7" immersion.

I'm wanting to keep the water level right at the top of the tank, as it's a rimless ADA, but I'm not sure the water level behind the false wall will remain high enough, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'm also not sure IF I'll keep the water level right to the top. I don't want carpet surfers or snails going AWOL, but I'd really, really like to, so if there's any suggestions for that, aside from a top, shoot!

Could there be a DIY skimmer I could make that would fit my requirements?

fingerscrossed

Thanks,

~B

Can the skimmer stick out above the rim? How much?

What is the available footprint?

What will the water level be?

How many gallons?

Archived