Cultivated Reef

coral...... when?

cachocachocacho

cachocachocacho

allright im finally getting impatient.... my tanks been running for almost 2 months now and i just added a domino the other day, which im gonna swap out with a clown soon (just wanted to see how it would do... so far so good!)... unless i can keep both?! but i was wondering when i could start adding corals... i was particularly interested in that nano-pack from coral dynamics... i hear montipora are a good begginer sps, but then i heard that one should never start with sps!?! i also like clams, purty, but i hear they like a nutrient deprived environ, how hard is that provide with fish in the tank?... and just one final ques, i promise..... whats soooo hard about anemones, everyones says no but i cant find why? all recomendations and advice HIGHLY appreciated! oh yeh, i am prepared to give these corals what ever special care they need... if you look on my profile you can see that im a homebrewer... so free beer to the person with the best info!:D

In a ten gallon, you would be really pushing it to keep a clown with a domino. Anything with a domino is going to, in the long run, get the crap kicked out of them...they get very aggressive as they grow older. As for SPS and Clams, unless you are an experieced reefer, I would go for some LPS or even better softies. I thought the same thing when I started my tank, I never thought I would take the soft coral route, but they are hard even for a beginner.

The trouble with an anemone is:

1) In a nano, if they do die, they release toxins that can *easily* crash in a tank.

2) Secondly, anemones rarely live longer than 6 months to a year in captivity, whereas they will live and reproduce indefinetely in the wild (water conditions in a nano rarely replicate that of its natural habitat, or even a larger reef tank...its just too unstable).

I probably started the largest debate on the topic in nano-reef history. IF you have time to read through the 145 posts all about anemones in nanos, do so. here is the link

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=anemone

You obviously have enough light to provide for SPS and Clams, but the only think that I would caution you about is that they cost more, and as a first coral, there is a higher chance of you screwing up now than later. Try out a softie or two, then move up.

Just my opinion, but I hope that helps.

katydidit speaks the truth. One more thing to add to the anemone problem - they move. With most corals, you put 'em somewhere, & the next day they're in the same place. With the anenome, the next day he's buddied up to your frogspawn & stingin' the crap out of him.

But the biggest drawback (agree with katy) is that we don't know enough about them to keep them alive for any length of time - not fair to them. Most reef experts suggest not keeping them.

Clams - very hard to keep, especially in nanos, especially for beginners. Do people keep 'em successfully in small tanks? You bet - even people in the forums here.

Ross

Most mushrooms & yellow polyp rocks are good. Green Star Polyps - you sorta take your chances. Sometimes they spend most of their time retracted. Read a ton-o-stuff on them at www.wetwebmedia.com - many people have problems with them, but many don't.

Frogspawn - pretty easy, IME. Leathers....

Most importantly, don't buy a coral not knowing anything about it (a great way to get flamed here). You should know everything about each coral before you add to your tank, including lighting requirements, feeding, water flow, etc.

HTH,

Ross

I think you could manage a Frogspawn... they are pretty 'user friendly' but other than that, I would go for some polyps and mushrooms, but keep the Frogspawn away, he is aggressive...

cachocachocacho

thanks... that wetwebmedia has loooots of info... do you guys know of any fish that i could keep with a domino? i'd hate to give up my first fish :( i was looking at liveaquaria.com's compatibility chart and they mentioned gobys... any ideas?

Na, I wouldnt risk putting anything with a Domino... Just take it back and buy eather a (single) Royal Gramma, or a maited pair of Clowns...

Royal Gramma can get a little teritorial if they are put in the tank first. IMO you should keep Royal Gramma by themselfs... AND I had a Domino once (had a 40g Fowlr) and it actually bit me several times... they get too aggressive...

Archived