Cultivated Reef

New Products Added!

johnmaloney

We are now offering juvenile Florida Ceriths. For those of you familiar with are dwarf ceriths, these guys are the same size, but grow into the larger Florida Ceriths. They are a part of our expansion into clean up crews that will last through 2 generations in your tank. We also added stars, emerald crabs and pencil urchins.

We are now offering juvenile Florida Ceriths. For those of you familiar with are dwarf ceriths, these guys are the same size, but grow into the larger Florida Ceriths. They are a part of our expansion into clean up crews that will last through 2 generations in your tank. We also added stars, emerald crabs and pencil urchins.

2 things John, first are your emeralds gauranteeded not to eat coral? lol1, i've had horrible experiences with them eating zoos and making a mess of the tank. while my dad's which a few are caught locally by him or a lfs that collects their cuc members locally don't hurt anything! Strange huh, also are you getting the urchins locally, as in collecting them yourself? Reason is I remember seeing a bunch of those things around blue heron bridge years ago, now I never see them, same with all the angelfish, you have to work to find them. it's not worth it to catch them anyway, they get brook or marine velvet and infections so easilly and when I qt them they just get stressed and get ich and die. Better to leave them in the ocean is how my dad thinks of it.

2 things John, first are your emeralds gauranteeded not to eat coral?

I don't know their plans. We feed them strictly macro algae, right now they are gobbling up $10 of codium a day. The emerald crabs are caught in the keys from our supplier. Sorry it isn't the best answer, but it is an honest one.

Your local LFS catches CUCs? Hope it isn't urchins they don't have a Marine Life Endorsement. (I got a list, and no one from our area has one). I have been talking to LFS people and a lot of them are poaching these days. Bad stuff.... We don't collect urchins, our license doesn't cover them. We get them from a supplier in the keys. I have been seeing a lot of locally collected live rock too showing up in the shops. We only farm the snail colonies and that is it for local catches. Macro too of course.

Yeah, Crystal Reef, they catch emeralds and hermits. I wouldn't be supprised if they poached them, they alreay got caught for illegally collecting 500lbs of lr from the bahamas! I don't buy anything from them anymore except dry goods, unless they have something really nice. I stopped going there for awhile but started going back a bit. I pretty much stick to Rob at Oceans Below, I haven't bought anything anywere else execpt a small zoa frag in awhile. Plus I know him so well he almost always gives me something free if not t near whjolesale price. He's the only one I trust for advice anymore, everyone's hireing a bunch of idiots that don't know sh!t. Posidens has gotten better though, they still have one guy I don't like, he told me a nem was a coral and that it's not macro, it's kelp! Also totally ignored me, I had to asked him how much something was to get a word out of him. Most places don't get anything good anymore anyways, just the same stuff sits there for ever.

edit: bad spelling

Seems questionable.

The owner at Poseidon's thinks every macro is kelp. Caulerpa is kelp, sargassum is kelp, etc... That isn't his fault. Their prices are a bit crazy, but they are okay. Ocean's Below is an awesome store, I should stop by there again soon. You must be either crazy or a strong swimmer going under the blue heron bridge, what a current their on a dropping tide! Go on a full moon and whoa, what a workout to swim 10 feet in the "wrong" direction.

Ocean's Below is an awesome store, I should stop by there again soon. You must be either crazy or a strong swimmer going under the blue heron bridge, what a current their on a dropping tide! Go on a full moon and whoa, what a workout to swim 10 feet in the "wrong" direction.

You should, go thursday or all the goodies are gone. Rob has been getting some sweet corals these days. As for the bridge, I went with lilredneckman and my dad. He only let us around the seawall by Phil foster, the tide was nearly slack, I only went under the bridge once, and on slack tide. My dad won't even let me in the water when the tide is ripping. We hit one spot by the port of palm beach and the current is super strong, my dad drops me and lilredneckman off like 100ft upcurrent so we can drift onto the spot then anchors the boat right next to it so we all can hold the anchor line to stay in one place.! Only reason it's worth it is all the fish and tasty bugs. it's a pain to get lobsters there, the current is moving 100 miles an hour and it's 20ft deep. So very fun freediving and knowing there's a big moray in there with the lobster or angelfish your trying to catch. My dad is so determined to catch this one queen that hang on that reef, she knows were all the eels are, you stick your tickle stick under the ledge to coax her out and you have a 5ft eel looking straight at ya.

Yeah the current is rough on an active tide there. I have done it, swam 45 minutes moved a foot. Fun though if you swim with it, swimming through the water at 15 miles an hour is FAST.

Archived