Cultivated Reef

Sump design, slightly unconventional

nematoad

I want to know if you guys think this design will work for my sump.

I want to explain the rationale for doing it in this direction: my stand that I designed can easily accomodate a 5.5g, but I wanted a bigger sump (for a 20g tank), so I decided that I could fit a 10g in there, but it would have to go in the short side in (ie, the side face (10 x 12) would face you from the front of the stand). My stand is 19" wide, 23.5" long and 33" tall (inside dimensions, outside: 20" x 24" x 36").

I also wanted to use the sump as a prop/hospital area, and I am getting a good deal on a set of Current USA 18" 2x18W T5HO lights to use as sump lights. That chaeto is going to grow like a weed :)

Anyways, those two things combined made me want to use the full length of the tank to use the lights as well. So I came up with this:

sumpbaffles.jpg

Basically, I will use 1/4 inch acrylic for the main divider (~20" long), and then have one half of the tank devoted to return/drain (and skimmer), and the other half to prop/refugium. The drain side will have the 1" drain, tunze 9002 skimmer, and 3 baffles for the bubble trap. the return side will have teeth cut into the acrylic, and then be returned to the tank via my return pump (Eheim 1250).

The red lines indicate support 'beams' that I could install to help with the stability of the large acrylic sheet dividing the two sides.

I know it won't be 100% efficient as the flow isn't one side to another, but it will be enough to keep water moving through the refugium fairly well, but also leave some calmer zones in there.

Think this design will work?

its not unusual at all. ive seen sumps like that. seems like a pretty good design. you dont really need those support beams in the sump. theres nothing really to support. you can just take those out.

its not unusual at all. ive seen sumps like that. seems like a pretty good design. you dont really need those support beams in the sump. theres nothing really to support. you can just take those out.

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't come across any designed like this so I assumed it was unconventional at best.

I just thought the beams would be nice peace of mind to prevent any bowing out/in. I guess it can't hurt to have one or two in there for extra support.

Archived