Coral Vue Hydros

Cleaner Shrimp

mattdog

I was acclimating Mr. Shrimp to his new home today and I think he died on me.  The acclimating method I use is on www.liveaquaria.com since it's a pretty common method.  It's been 2.5 hrs since he's been loose and he's still upside down and lifeless.  He looked fine in the bag.  He was moving and bouncing around like I would expect him to.

What gives?

Matt

My friend had the exact same thing happen to him as well!! We went to go buy a cleaner shrimp and after we brought it home and acclimated him for almost two hours, the d*mn shrimp freakin' up and died on us!! We have no idea what happened, we brought the shrimp and a sample of our water to the LFS and everything seemed to be normal so the LFS just gave my friend store credit for the shrimp.

I would give it a little more time and see what happens.I would think if he was dead the water flow would toss him around the tank or suck him up into the filtration. hmmmmmmmmmm

He's bounced into a dead spot in the tank.  I think he's dead...I'm having to knock the hermits off with a chopstick.

:(

Matt

That's what I'm doin...he's a goner though.  I touched him with the stix and he made no movement at all...not even his little legs in the back were kicking.

matt

Try and get a refund.  I'd yell and scream until they gave me one just to get me out of the store.  Make sure to test your water though, try and figure out if anything toxic could have gotten into it.

Well they have a "No Guarantees on SW Fish" sign posted, so I don't know if that'll work.  I'll try my best though.  

Had all my water tested for everything that I can think of and I can't find anything.  I feel sorry for the fishstore manager at 9:00 AM tomorrow.

Matt

Well,

I took Mr. Shrimp back to the LFS today.  They didn't give me much of a problem.  They just told me that they were sorry and they would order me another shrimp.  This time, I'll be more careful during the ride home and acclimation will be super slow.  Any other ideas that would help me this time?  It's not my params...all those are fine.  I checked 4 times since I pronounced Mr. Shrimp dead until this morning.  Still everything is great.  

Thanks,

Matt

Well as much business as this household gives them for dry goods, I don't think that they had much of a choice.  I got lots of animals.

Matt

Vixyswillie
Quote: from mattdog on 9:55 pm on June 26, 2002[br]Had all my water tested for everything that I can think of and I can't find anything.

Matt - can you give us the levels of your tank? I just acclimated a new fire shrimp to my 125 tonight and he's doing just fine - a very shy cave-dweller at present, but fine nonetheless. ;)

ammonia - 0; pH 8.2; nitrate - 0; nitrite - 0; S.G. - 1.023 (same as lfs) temp is 79 night 82 mid-day;  what other levels would you like to know.  Absolutely everything is in order.  No copper or anything like that.  All other inhabitants are fine...including tons of baby feather dusters.  I guess the move from the lfs to the house was just too much stress.  I followed the instructions on www.liveaquaria.com....i don't know what happened.

matt

Strange, all my experiences with Skunk Cleaners and pepermints, have all been very positive, in terms of aclimation..never had a problem...

If your aclimating properly, any problems will become apparent while the shrimp is still in the bag, NOT when you put him in the tank.  If a problem does develope right after puting in the tank then you have not aclimated him propertly..

not sure what aclimation procedure is outlined on the web site you pointed to BUT here's my methode:

First, Float the bag for at least 25 minutes.

Then open the bag, and dump out half its water or so(not into your tank though) just enough water that he can confortable move around in the bag, no more.

Then with a turky basters or whatever, add a little of your tank water to the bag, say about 5ml. (quantity to add should be no more then 1/15 of what's already in the bag)

Then wait 5-10 minutes, and add another 5ml's or so.

wait 5-10 minutes...

repeat, and repeat... when the bag becomes full (assuming small bag here), just dump out some of the water (but not into your tank).. you can gradually increase the proportion of tank water you are adding.. ie from 5ml up to 20 ml - as you get closer to the end of the aclimation process.

Then just keep repeating this process.... the idea being that eventually (after about hour and half) the bag will only contain your tank water.   With this gradual process, just tank it slow.

(Edited by Catspa at 9:11 am on June 28, 2002)

Hope the next one goes better.

I just aclimated one myself yesterday and I have never had anything in my 8 years of this hobby aclimate so well so quickly.  The shrimp looked instantly at home and alert.  mabye you just got unlucky

Archived