Innovative Marine Aquariums

1/10th chiller too much?

bigredreefer

So im planning on setting up my 12g nano and a 12g aquapod as a sump/ frag tank.

If I hooked up my old 1/10th jbj chiller to the tanks, will it be work or just make my heater run 24/7?

the chiller should have a controller and should run independently from your heater. if they're both running at the same time, you have a problem.

one thing you might consider is hooking up a smaller pump than recommended to your chiller. ime, a 1/10 chiller will drop temps fast in such a small tank and the quick drop is bad for your inhabitants. using a smaller pump will make your chiller less efficient and drop the temps slower (but likely still fast enough). i use an mj 900 (instead of a 1200) on mine (also a 1/10) to chill a 40g and the temps still drop a little quick for my taste

I know, but both of your posts are confusing for me.

First, if the chiller and the heater are working in tandem (ie, at the same time), your temperature will remain stable. I would consider it a good thing for your heater to remain on constantly at, say, 78 degrees. Set the chiller for the same temp, and your temps will be rock solid.

Second, manufactureres recommend flow rates for a reason. Using an undersized pump will eventually lead to issues inside the chiller, namely with the thermal expansion valve but also with freezing in the coil.

And last, these chillers have built-in controllers. You set it at a temp, when the actual temp reaches one degree higher the chiller comes on, and it turns off when the temp is one degree lower than your ideal. That's a three degree swing - how is yours 'dropping' the temp too fast?

hth.

Get a 1/10hp Current chiller, there's a heater built in. Problem solved.

No they don't. I have a Current and they only come with the controller for the heater.

And last, these chillers have built-in controllers. You set it at a temp, when the actual temp reaches one degree higher the chiller comes on, and it turns off when the temp is one degree lower than your ideal. That's a three degree swing - how is yours 'dropping' the temp too fast?

hth.

mine drops too fast because the chiller is overrated for my system. there will be a 2 degree drop within minutes in my system. imo, that's much too fast for my sps to be happy.

the jbj does have a built in controller for the chiller component. setting your heater at, lets say, 78 and chiller at 79 should provide a 2 degree buffer between either device coming on (assuming both have properly calibrated thermostats).

as far as flow ratings, j is right that flow recommendations are there for a reason. you obviously shouldn't hookup the chiller to an outrageously low flow pump. doing so would be problematic. in my case, the chiller has a recommended flow rate of 200-300 gph (taking into consideration friction, bend, gravity, and pressure losses). running the mj900 (rated at 230 but probably pushing something like 160 at the chiller outlet) hasn't been an issue in the past year and i doubt it will. the chiller doesn't come on unless it's hot out and runs probably a total of 20 minutes a day when it does.

i was also confused when it was stated the heater would run 24/7, assuming it would be heating your system the whole time. both should be "on" but not running 24/7 if they're hooked up and take internal controllers. let the thermostat/controllers do the work

lol, guess I got lucky. Mine is built in. Maybe it's the newer models that don't have the heater?

prime minis include a heater controller (basically just a power port in the back that turns off when the chiller is on). maybe the old ones used to include a heater; i don't know.

the only 2 in 1 i know of that's on the market right now is the thermoelectric from pacific coast. it basically uses switches the polarity of the peiter element with a relay to go from hot to cold.

Awesome information guys, thanks.

My heater is okay but the chiller hasnt been used in months.

What would be the best way calibrate my chiller?

RED

Awesome information guys, thanks.

My heater is okay but the chiller hasnt been used in months.

What would be the best way calibrate my chiller?

RED

i don't know/think you can. just look at what it's set at and what the actual temp is (w/ a good thermometer). then just account for the difference. example: if setting at 79 really reads 82, set at 76 for 79.

mine is two degrees off out of the factory. go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived