Coral Vue Hydros

Chronic Low pH

cpllongjk

My tank has always suffered chronic low pH. I just dont know why.

Current conditions:

Temp: 78-78.5

Salinity: 1.025-1.026

Mg: 1300

Ca: 430

dKH: 9-10

The issue is my pH will fluctuate from 7.75-7.8 during the dead of night, and will hit 8.0-8.1 during the end of the lighting schedule. I seem to have to keep the windows open in my apartment to keep the pH up. Can't keep doing this in the middle of winter. I was keeping the pH up at 8.0-8.3 for a month, when I was able to keep the windows open full time.

Im thinking of:

Run a extra long air line for my skimmer to outside air?

But dont know if it will work as intended.

ANY IDEAS? Im stumped...

Ya, I calibrate the probe once every 6 months. Also, I use the best kits (salifert and elos) for Mg, Ca, and dKH. They could be off but I doubt it. My corals are doing fine so I shouldnt worry. But just trying to get things to be more stable.

dahliaheartsyou
If you have the space or some kind of tank with a back compartment, put a light on it with a reverse lighting cycle. Sand also helps buffer ph.

i think you forgot to say add chaeto/macro algae to the space under the light

:lol:

I feel your pain! I have the same issue. Been able to keep the windows open lately but cold front is coming soon. The highest I've seen my pH is 8.25 with the probe and that's at the end of MH time and windows open. I've been dripping kalk but that doesn't seem to help that much either.

I'm trying to keep my pH up to combat Raphidophytes (similar to dinos).

Archived